PDA

View Full Version : Which Callipers????

Anonymous
01-04-02, 08:21 PM
My front discs are worn and my n/s/f calliper is seizing up on me. What are the best callipers and discs to fit to a gte with standard 14" alloys? I need more brake-ing power!!!!!

If loving my pint is wrong, i dont wanna be right!

Anonymous
02-04-02, 12:12 AM
get nova gsi callipers!!
dont seize and much better!!

Anonymous
02-04-02, 12:37 AM
strip them down, put copper slip on them, piece of pi$$, even I could do it, it's that simple

Anonymous
02-04-02, 11:30 AM
i found 1.2i calipers made hell of a difference :D

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
02-04-02, 04:36 PM
corsa sport stuff.... same as gsi but much lower milage

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D
special rates for girls!!

Anonymous
03-04-02, 12:03 PM
the astra GTE 2.0 16v had 14" on it so use them!the 1.2i are better but my m8 had one and put GTE ones on it saying they where better!
So i'd go 4 tigra,corsa sport or GTE 2.0 16v!

Or get some 15" with big clearance and 4pot wilwoods look at rally web site as they have some great stuff for same wheels and big stopping power!

!!Rust is car cancer!!:(

Anonymous
03-04-02, 05:46 PM
1.2i are just non ventalted gsi so they are fine till u cook them

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D
special rates for girls!!

Anonymous
03-04-02, 06:03 PM
havent cooked em yet and ive tried :) lol

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
04-04-02, 12:36 AM
Gobby is right in that the old callipers are easy to strip down and sort out, BUT, they're still not as good as the later GSi type callipers.
I cleaned mine down on my Antibes (I was using MKII Cav 2.0 callipers and 236x20 GTE-spec disks) and they worked fine......they were seizing all the time but a quick clean sorted 'em.
To be honest though, save fooking about and get big brakes as suggested above....I've recently got MKIII Cav SRi ATE brakes for my GTE and they're a million times better than the standard shite....the full set-up only cost me ?30 too :) (that's callipers, disks and pads!). BUT.....when you say standard wheels....which are they? Steelies or 3-spoke alloys, 'cos they struggle to fit behind either without spacers 'cos both are only 5J. The Astra GTE and Cav SRi 14" steelies and alloys are 5 1/2J

Anonymous
04-04-02, 03:19 PM
so if the diameter of wheel is same wot difference does the width make soon explain!Cause I was going to get Astra GTE 16v ones?

Anonymous
04-04-02, 03:21 PM
A mate has a set of 1.2i ones laying around can you use the disk's and pads from a 1.2 as got 3month old EBC Turbo grove disk's and Green stuff pads!with about 1k on them!

Anonymous
05-04-02, 08:54 AM
I think you should be able to use the disks, but the mk1 1.2 pads are a different shape from the mk-2 1.2i pads, so i dont think they'll fit. But try em and see, easy to change back if u find they dont fit. ;)

Anonymous
06-04-02, 09:25 PM
Go to a breakers and get standard vectra calipers. They should fit 14" wheels and have the same bolt centres. They are the same as Astra GTE 16v ones but cheaper. These calipers are different from the 8v astra ones as they have 'ears' on the ends of the brake pads and more pad area. Picked up a set this week for ?30pr for calipers, new ferodo vented disks for ?32 pr and bobs your fathers brother :-)