PDA

View Full Version : Charged 1600 on 40's

Nick
18-07-07, 12:20 AM
I can aquire some DHLA 40 Lotus Esprit Turbo carburettors as a direct replacment for mine; and i can also get a m45 Eaton charger from a friend who races Cooper S's for dirt cheap..

Is this just a matter of room ? As i'd have to find some replacment pulley also.

But in terms of managment, would i have to run a Mapped iginition ? Would it be safe to run on 10psi with a cometic head gasket; bearing in mind i have a rather strong bottom end :)

Adam
18-07-07, 12:33 AM
Being honest, i'd be more tempted use a standard 1600 mpi inlet. And run Efi.

You'd need a very good carb tuner, and yeah mapped ignition.

Ash
18-07-07, 01:23 AM
nick... I like the way you think, but I think it should be one or the other. Saying that tho R5 Turbo's are carb'ed, and they see good results. If your going to need management then i think you might as well use efi. Also your fuel bill would be huge lol

Adam
18-07-07, 01:25 AM
R5 etc was carb'd because it was cheaper etc for them to do back when they were designing the car in the 80s.

Id go efi, unless you really wanted to stay carbs for some reason.

Ste L
18-07-07, 03:45 AM
r5 are carb's, but a lot of the high powered one's are converted to mpi

Nick
18-07-07, 12:52 PM
But i'm assuming the Dellorto DHLA's are a bit higher-tech and originally alot more expensive than the Webber twin barrel carb that's on the R5 ?

If lotus ran them on their esprits, i'd imagine they're fairly good - they can cope with 30psi apparently.

The parts are available to me for cheap, The sound of Carbs and a Supercharger would be awesome.

Adam
18-07-07, 12:58 PM
The carbs intake would be completely "boxed" in tho, so you wouldn't get the sound of normal NA carbs.

Youd need some form of mount for the charger, and obvious bits like a custom belt. Might need mod bits of the car too depending where you mount the charger.

Nick
18-07-07, 01:00 PM
well, i'm getting hold of a Eaton M45 to have a look regarding size/placment.

If my mate can source a bottom pully that can run a dual belt i might just give it a go.

If it's ****e, i can just sell the bits on and make a bit of money to recouperate RR/Cometic Headgasket costs.

Adam
18-07-07, 01:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Esprit-Turbo-Dellorto-Twin-Carbs-fuel-regulator_W0QQitemZ170130294485QQihZ007QQcategoryZ 27375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to go for quite an amount.

Mike
18-07-07, 01:48 PM
if anything, use DCOE 152 carbs as there suitable for turbo applications in OE spec.

Altho id go MPi all the way if it were me

Stuart
18-07-07, 02:13 PM
nick, bear in mind that youve got a high compresison bottom end + head setup at the moment...... so id say a MAX of about 3psi boost would be sensible given the current setup....

Its going to be either pistons or the gay spacer plate (dont think cometic make a small block 8v gasket (although the 16v might work if made))

Nick
18-07-07, 05:41 PM
if anything, use DCOE 152 carbs as there suitable for turbo applications in OE spec.

Altho id go MPi all the way if it were me

The Dellorto DHLA's are OE spec.They've come straight off a lotus Esprit Turbo.

Stuart, surely i can run about 8-10psi using a spacer plate ?

Adam
18-07-07, 05:57 PM
Yes you will be able to with a spacer plate.

Paul
18-07-07, 06:50 PM
if the bottom ends strong enough i dont see why he cant run 5-8psi now, without lowering th ecompression?

Adam
18-07-07, 06:55 PM
Its strength isn't the issue.
The compression ratio is.

Nick-Do you know what your CR was? I presume the head was skimmed when it was fitted too?

Paul
18-07-07, 06:59 PM
having a high compression onyl makes it unreliable with high amount of psi doesnt it?

I mean if you really wanted you could bolt a blower on and run 30psi, sure it would last 5 mins but it would hold 30psi wouldnt it?

Adam
18-07-07, 07:03 PM
Not so much unreliable, more fooked.
Probably last a few seconds until temps went that high, it just detted and holed pistons, fooked valves etc,Lol.

Im pretty sure a LETs CR is only about 9:1, which isn't massively low.

Paul
18-07-07, 07:15 PM
iirc theyre 8.5:1.

I know this is a different ball game completely, but my mate had a mg zr 1.4 16v, k series. he had a turbo puton that, on standard hg, standard cr, and that used to hold 6-7psi.

Nick
18-07-07, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure what my C-R is, i've still not got all the report from the place who built it !

The Block was Decked, and the Head skimmed.. that's all i know !

Adam
18-07-07, 07:42 PM
Aye, so thats put your CR higher than normal. The original CR is 10:1 iirc.

Stuart
18-07-07, 09:57 PM
it all depends where in the rev range you putthe boost in.....

you can run a high CR (like the VAG 2.0 turbos of 10:1) but put the boost in at the higher end of the rev range, OR low CR and put tons of boost in all the time.... but that sacrifices low end driveability.

the way a supercharger works it puts "full" boost in right from the word go (unless its displacement) so if you have a high CR then its gonna be a bit of a gamble as to the lifespan of the engine.

oh and an overbore increases the CR too