PDA

View Full Version : making rear clusters

Anonymous
24-03-02, 12:27 PM
after looking long n hard at a spare rear cluster of mine(u wierdo/perv I hear u all cry!) it does not look that hard to make new lenses,as they are in 2 pieces in the cluster,and bonded on,if I could remove these from a cluster,and get hold of some perspex/plastic of some kind with the honeycomb texture that makes the units light up nicely,I could make me some one off rear clusters,has anyone tried this?-does anyone know where I can get some plastic up to the job?-I would like perspex as it can be warmed and curved cant it? bulbs are not a problem at the mo...

autochokes suck!

Anonymous
24-03-02, 01:12 PM
Micky is the master of rear clusters lol

Micky explain...

-------------------
[-devil.jpg-]kev@novaload.net

Anonymous
24-03-02, 07:12 PM
Yes.
im doing it at the mo.
Plain perspex and heat it and bend it in the right place.
Easy.

Anonymous
24-03-02, 07:35 PM
does it work with plain perspex???-wot bout the honeycomb style that makes the units lite up right?-Im gonna start doing it asap!

autochokes suck!

Anonymous
24-03-02, 11:51 PM
Sure you can do it as above but not sure about the legal factor....will probably fail MOT and could get pulled by police, but fook it......that'd probably happen with clear lenses ones anyway so try it....you can always swap to originals for MOT if needed.

I don't think they'd light up right though without the honeycomb effect on the lenses, as it's that clever bit of optics that makes them light up in the way they do.

It is possible to get lens plastic from some other clusters that you could cut and shut? Might be worth investigating.

Anonymous
25-03-02, 08:03 AM
yes i built the rear clusters on my white nova in the feature cars

i cut and shut the lenses to make clear ones, i used lots of reverse light lenses to give the correct honeycombe effect although i did think about the compleatly clear, i didnt have and clear plastic to hand

u need a dremmel type tool to remove the coloured lenes

Micky@novaload.net
SNAKES-WITH-TITS Website http://network54.com/Realm/Snakes_with_tits

Anonymous
25-03-02, 10:21 AM
hmmmmmm that sounds a good idea,just gotta get down the breakers on my day off, I dunno wot colour I want em yet tho, we shall see ;)

autochokes suck!

Anonymous
25-03-02, 02:08 PM
Im gonna experiment with reflective surfaces in the back of the clusters (maybe chop the reflectors from a knackered set of headlamps a bit) or Tin foil .
lol
Anything reflective should do the job i think.

Anonymous
25-03-02, 05:43 PM
The only prob u might have is that rear lenses are made to not aim the light in any particular direction, thats what the honeycombe bit does, u dont wanna end up with a set of red spotlights on the back of ur car lol

-------------------
[-devil.jpg-]kev@novaload.net

Anonymous
25-03-02, 07:01 PM
maybe i do ........;)

Anonymous
25-03-02, 08:20 PM
trip to the breakers on wednesday,kick ass,looks like I will finally be getting on with some proper moddin,along with new dizzy,headunit(finally!!!!) and some cosmetic touches to the car, I really want some custom rear lights tho,as no where does them in the colour I want them x-(

autochokes suck!

Anonymous
25-03-02, 08:28 PM
could you get some semi translucent (sp) film to defuse the light?

Things to do: Rebuild engine, paint car, rebuild car, pass driving test

Anonymous
25-03-02, 10:57 PM
if youre looking for semi transparent film to difuse the light use graphic artists tracing paper. It's an opaque white andt difuses light excellently. Watch when heating perspex - will turn yellow if overheated and may crack if bent too much - acrylic is better as it bends easier ( a little more expensive though but tougher ) - although if you put acrylic in boiling water with a dye in it, it will stain the colour of the water (pretty funky for coloured see through effect)

Ade

oh now, that is interesting!

Anonymous
04-04-02, 04:32 PM
watch you dont over heat the Dremel type of thing like I did!!!!