PDA

View Full Version : value of a bodyshell

mowgli
15-07-07, 11:58 AM
This is a serious enquiry,
What would a 8000 mile g reg 3 door shell with absolutely no rust on it anywhere & no crash repairs or stupid modifications be worth?

At the moment it is a complete running car with a 1.6gte engine & box & spax -30mm suspension with 185/60r14s on steel. The door bottoms have been reskinned but not filled in.

I am thinking of either breaking it or selling it to a decent home.
Work commitments & a nagging brother who wants me to shift it from his workshop are behind this decision.

Welsh Dan
15-07-07, 12:01 PM
few hundred quid?

draper
15-07-07, 12:02 PM
couple of hundred for the shell, the engines sell for about ?100-?150

mowgli
15-07-07, 12:13 PM
What if I got it mot'd?

draper
15-07-07, 12:13 PM
sell the car for ?400-?500

krobinson
15-07-07, 06:07 PM
If it was seriously mint then its worth good money. The doors needing re-skinning doesnt inspire confidence.

mowgli
15-07-07, 09:32 PM
The doors needing re-skinning doesnt inspire confidence.

I take that as an insult. I am being honest about my car. I have owned it for 7 years & it has been dry stored for all of that time. The car hasn't been on the road for 10 years due to the previous owner having osteo-arthritis. I bought it simply because I was delivering some building materials, & whilst unloading I saw it parked on the lady's drive & it took her 2 years to sell it to me. The lower door skins had some minor rust so I had them fixed properly. I don't like bodging things. It has never had anything modified, even the engine was installed without anything other than genuine parts & no holes have been drilled into it anywhere.

I have owned novas for twenty years.

bump
16-07-07, 01:20 PM
Don't sell it to Baxter!
What ever you do.

John
16-07-07, 01:28 PM
how about you post some good pics for us ??!!, instead of just a "verbal" discription.

NovaLad
16-07-07, 01:29 PM
Spot on ^

craig green
16-07-07, 01:37 PM
Doors are neither structural or terminal to a shells integrity.

I can quite beleive a shell could be mint even if the doors arent. The doors will rot if the drain holes are blocked or if the wax inside wasnt evenly applied or even if the window seals let in a lot of rain.

Pics required for sure. However the shell is worth what you want for it. The more you ask, potentially the longer it will take to shift.

GTE TURBZ
16-07-07, 03:04 PM
Pics required for sure. However the shell is worth what you want for it. The more you ask, potentially the longer it will take to shift.

well put

ade
16-07-07, 07:19 PM
agree - a shell may look mint on the outside but its the inside that matters - behind all the panelling, under the carpets, the battery, the inner wings, the boot floor, the gaps between the rear light housings, behind the bumpers and the worst culprit behind the sound on the lower part of the inner front arches where the bottom beets the chassis - if its clean in these areas then you'll have a good sale on your hands - doors or not.

General Baxter
16-07-07, 07:29 PM
very true that ade, my TD looked mint ish on the out side, but was held together with gue, no idea how it got 12months mot on it,

the chasis was held on the car via that brown layer of crap on the inside of the floor lol

mowgli
16-07-07, 11:02 PM
OK I will get some photos. The trouble is that I don't really want to sell it, but I may lose the storage soon......