PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

Alex.
15-07-07, 10:52 AM
Just in the process of buying some service parts for the XE - I've got hold of a water pump and cambelt kit, but considering buying a couple of basic parts like oil filter and spark plugs as well. I'm after some NGK plugs, but their site lists two different types for the Astra XE - BCPR7E ( <92) and BKR6EK (>92). Am I right in thinking the <92 one of these is for the distributor engine and the later >92 one for the distributor-less engine?

According to the NGK website it says the early plugs have a gap of 0.7mm and the later ones the gap is preset. Is there any difference between the plugs used on the engine so it matters which ones I have to get?

/jack

Dar
15-07-07, 12:47 PM
RJ I Use the BCPR7E plug, the difference in the two you have listed is in the heat rating. The BCPR6 plug is a hotter plug.
This is quite a nice page that explains spark plugs quite well (http://www.akamoto.co.uk/resource-spark-plugs.htm)

dannyb
15-07-07, 01:05 PM
According to the NGK website it says the early plugs have a gap of 0.7mm and the later ones the gap is preset. Is there any difference between the plugs used on the engine so it matters which ones I have to get?

/jack

I'd gap them properly, even if they are pre set just to make sure, one spark plug may do for many different engines and so the gap will differ!