PDA

View Full Version : Should i give it a go ?

BigStan
13-07-07, 06:55 PM
Welding ?

Need some doing, sort of been thinking if i get one and learn to do it then i know how to do it forever more, so then it would have paid for itself ?!

Any peoples got tips and possibly point me in the direction of some good ones that will do the job ?

Need to put some plates in places and hopefully put in some new mud/crap guard thing as mine have rusted as they do.

Cheers :thumb:

R1CH
13-07-07, 06:58 PM
Get a copy of this months TV, they have a guide to welding for beginners.
Havent read it in any detail, but seems to tell you a fair bit.

Rich

coombsey
13-07-07, 06:58 PM
i gave it ago and never looked back all my welders have paid for themselves tbh there is always some one who wants welding done

R1CH
13-07-07, 07:02 PM
If your gonna go for it then best bet is to get a load of (scrap) plate and practice, i wouldn't even go near a car with a welder untill i'd mastered it !!
Nothing worse than pigeon sh*t welds on cars !!

BigStan
13-07-07, 07:03 PM
Get a copy of this months TV, they have a guide to welding for beginners.
Havent read it in any detail, but seems to tell you a fair bit.

Rich

I got that, sort of made me think about trying it !

Any ideas for good ones then ?

R1CH
13-07-07, 07:15 PM
I got mine from Machine Mart, think it was about ?190 ... http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/151te-turbo-mig-welder ... done everything i've needed to do with it, will be spot on if your just welding car body work.
I've never spent much time trying to weld tbh as my mates a sh*t hot fabricator so just get him to it all lol , have done small bits and bobs, get one bought and give it a go.

Rich

draper
13-07-07, 07:39 PM
go for it, i bought mine from machine mart aswell, ?140ish quid, came with everything needed aswell

BigStan
13-07-07, 07:51 PM
So what types of welders should i be lookin out for then ?

R1CH
13-07-07, 10:32 PM
Your after a MIG welder for use with a small replacable gas bottle, stay away from the gas-less ones.
Won't go far wrong with any of these ... http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/details/hobby-mig-welders/path/diy-mig-welders

Rich

gsi 2.5 flann
15-07-07, 11:36 AM
i use gasless mig at home never had a problem just the wire is quite dear. but it is ok for home asi don't have a garage to help with the shielding gas, so it is better. i do how ever use a mig with gas at work.

BigStan
15-07-07, 11:37 PM
Well i decided that i will be getting one and giving it a go so wish me luck. lol

Should all go quite well, will get pics and stuff of all the things that gets done ! :thumb:

BigStan
16-07-07, 12:06 AM
Should i be buying a second hand one or just go for the new option ?

What could be wrong with a old one ?

Cheers

Adam
16-07-07, 12:59 AM
Worn liners, dodgy wire feeds etc.
But nothing that cant be sorted.

If you have the cash id get a new 100amp clarke from machine mart. Clarke are the best budget option.

gammienov16v
16-07-07, 04:52 PM
if you own a nova,

ur best friends are:
grinder
welder and
compressor oh and
engine crain

if you have these you shouldnt go wrong:thumb: lol