PDA

View Full Version : Stuck slide mechanism on sunroof

Welsh Dan
11-07-07, 11:42 AM
My sunroof tilts fine, but will not retract, it gets stuck. Is this a common fault? Will I need to remove the sunroof from the car to repair it or is there anything I can do while it is in the car?

Thanks

craig green
11-07-07, 01:05 PM
Depends on wther its an early or late sunroof. pre or post 89.

Mines the same. Will not slide back. Headlining out & remove the glass in my case.

Welsh Dan
11-07-07, 01:13 PM
1990 MK1. Did you just have to strip it and rebuild it or something more?

craig green
11-07-07, 01:25 PM
I guess yours is a later type sunroof.

I'm a bit sketchy with what to do as it seems pretty complex to me. Theres a section in the Haynes manual but I'm fecked if I understand it.

All I know is that to remove the sunroof you need to slide it all the way back to access the bolts along the side. But ours wont slide back!

Tin opener & a welder springs to mind!

Welsh Dan
11-07-07, 01:29 PM
Oh dear lol.

Mazz
11-07-07, 02:55 PM
On my 1990 GTE, mine will tint, but not slide - try putting a bit of downward pressure on the sunnroof from above, mine opens doing this, and i think you can adjust the mechanism once its open..

craig green
11-07-07, 04:46 PM
With downward pressure, mine will slide back an inch. It goes back more on one side than the other which leads me to think a drive cable has snapped or come off its guide.

Thats about 30kg of idle sunroof in my roof skin!

Gunzi
11-07-07, 07:31 PM
I used the pressure on the drivers side front part of the sunroof for my old GSi, worked fine with that.

Welsh Dan
17-07-07, 10:49 AM
Had a good play with mine today, one side is a small increment ahead of the other, If it wasnt raining today I'd have taken the sunroof out. I had a quick look above the headlining and it looks like you can just unbolt the whole unit:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/diamond/sunroof/stickysunroof6.jpg