PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fit Front Gsi Window Surrounds?

Dave.
09-07-07, 11:00 PM
Just ordered a set from colin as i hate having no fronts, but how do you fit them? ive got poverty thin rubber ones on mine and had a quick look at them but havent a clue how theyll fit
any tips? :thumb:
cheers all

R1CH
09-07-07, 11:09 PM
Gotta remove all the Glass to start with, then its just a case of pushing / tapping them into place, then refitting the glass / rubbers.
You'll also need the rubbers to suit the surrounds.

Rich

Dave.
09-07-07, 11:11 PM
do i have to remove the slide glass or can i just wind it down?

R1CH
09-07-07, 11:15 PM
Should be alrite just winding it down, the trims can be fairly tight to go on especially if the cars been repainted, make sure you get them lined up properly as its a ball ache trying to move them a couple of mm.

Rich

Dave.
09-07-07, 11:19 PM
ok.. so i need the rubbers aswell yes? what if i havent got the rubbers? and how do i go about removing the old rubbers?

Jack
09-07-07, 11:21 PM
Old rubbers will just pull out, but you'll need to remove the windows.

ade
12-07-07, 11:27 PM
as above - the front door 1/4 glass rubber is different the bottom section where the window surround trim sits on the door has a tapered flange that sits on the edge rather than the thick round one.

You really need to take the door apart - remove door card, remove glass (use haynes for how to do this properly!) remove the metal bit that separates the 1/4 glass and the main wondow - slide out the 1/4 glass and rubber then fit your window surrounds - you'll also need to remove the wing mirrors so you can fit tyhe little curved bit behind them.

BE CAREFUL when fitting the metals - they bend very easily - also make sure you get the right clips and if possible look at how they came off the donor car so you know how they go back on - took me feckin ages to work it out for the bottom window runner bit! (but ven I aint cleva!)