PDA

View Full Version : 1 off set of lights

Dave.
09-07-07, 07:41 PM
im going to make a 1 off set of rear lights.. they will consist of a clear set of rears, a drill, a scewdriver, a pair of long nose plyers and wire cutters, some black paint and some silver bulbs lol

im setting out to make a set of clear/tinted rear lights. they will be completley clear on the bottom, no filters and will have chrome bulbs, on top they will be a heavy black tint with chrome bulbs. it will be hard as the filters from the lights will be a b*stard to get out (hence the drill and plyers lol).. but i shall attamps it.. i am planning to make something like this

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/x_novadose_x/gtyfdt.jpg
(pic courtesy of ad lol)

progress will start when i pick up my rear lights fom my boot on friday.. or if i can ill get my dad to pick them up and start early lol

anyone think theyll look good?

dave.gsi
09-07-07, 07:45 PM
good luck........you'll need it!

i tried a few years back. what an utter ball-ache. gave up in the endlol

edit....why dont you just buy clears and a tin of that 'smoke spray' from halfrauds?job done in 10minutes

R1CH
09-07-07, 07:46 PM
No i think they'll look balls, why not just buy some clear rears and tint the top half and save yourself some work !?!?

Rich

dave.gsi
09-07-07, 07:47 PM
http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a6/cb/3b57_2.JPG

Dave.
09-07-07, 07:51 PM
they will be clesr rears.. just my clear rears have inner filters in the you see.. like gay colur filters so you can ause normal bulbs.. i plan to remove them and use chrome bulbs insted

and thins way all it costs me is the price of the spray because my clear rears are free

R1CH
09-07-07, 07:54 PM
The chances of you being able to split them, remove the coloured filters and get them back together without them looking sh*te, are pretty slim imo !!
Just keep an eye out for some clear rears without the filters,

Rich

Lee
09-07-07, 07:55 PM
No i think they'll look balls, why not just buy some clear rears and tint the top half and save yourself some work !?!?

Rich

Agreed, tinting spray often looks crap because idiots dont know how to use it.

The trick is to slap on a few layers till its pretty dark, and then polish the hell out of them when dry with some T cut to lighten them up and give them a shine. They look spot on then! The trick is to be able to still see the reflector through the tint.

Just dont make them too dark or they'll look crap!

Adam
09-07-07, 07:56 PM
The chances of you being able to split them, remove the coloured filters and get them back together without them looking sh*te, are pretty slim imo !!

I did.

Thats how i made my half reds/half clears :cool:

Adam
09-07-07, 08:02 PM
The original of that shopped pic above.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/Dsc0036434.jpg

Dave.
09-07-07, 08:08 PM
i dont want to remove the lenses, im going to drill the filters out anf use a drill file end to file them away, then the last few bits push out and shake out

Jack
09-07-07, 09:06 PM
Half red, half clear = cool

Have to say I don't like the half red half smoked look at all. Plus the point of the half reds is they're still legal; the half smoked ones won't be as you'll still need to stick on red reflectors.

draper
09-07-07, 09:32 PM
why not smoke the bottom half so there half smoke half red ??

ade
12-07-07, 11:31 PM
its not easy! The bit in the middle where the reflectors sit actually has nothing behind it like the other sections where the bulbs go so if youre planning on putting a buld in there you'll need to build an additional support box and modify the bulb housing (unless I'm picking up your intentions incorrectly).

if you take the lamp housing and fit the bulb holder you'll see where it dips in - that bit is in line with the reflectors.

And I'll bet you scrack the lenses trying to remove them - theyre a biatch...take your time - maybe even heat the edges lightly with a heat gun to soften the plastic welds 1st...

craig green
13-07-07, 09:14 AM
They definately need warming up to prise them open I found. pop them in the oven after its been switched off & still warm.

Adam
13-07-07, 01:37 PM
I couldn't remove the standard lense from the standard cluster, even with heat, so i ended up smashing it out, and then spending ages removing all the bits left stuck in the glue.