PDA

View Full Version : 1 down, 1 to go..

Mike
08-07-07, 10:40 PM
Well, Ive been mincing yet AGAIN! i've got the easiest side done, now its just time to make the harder but smaller bit lol

Silver Carbon Fibre steering shroud/cowling, just ran it across with some P1200 sand paper to de nib it, tomorrow ill polish it up spanky and start the upper half :D

Your thoughs please :D

Enjoy.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT0064.jpg

burgo
08-07-07, 10:59 PM
its crap :thumb:

ade
08-07-07, 11:16 PM
lol

Looks nice - you got a mold?

Mike
08-07-07, 11:18 PM
lol

Looks nice - you got a mold?

yep :D for both upper an lower sections :thumb:

gazz
08-07-07, 11:25 PM
spot on bud. looks good:thumb:

Mike
08-07-07, 11:30 PM
well, thats my first ever proper attempt at laying carbon weave, and TBH, hats off to the pro's!! its nowhere near as easy as people assume (like i did) keeping the weave pattern in line without pulling it tight and losing its pattern :S

Altho on the above, theres plenty room for improvement, but ive got 1sqm of Black weave spare, and will pick up another shroud tomorrow to have a play with :D

BIGS
08-07-07, 11:37 PM
omg god do you know how much money you can make on ebay!!! anyway looks good fella post up the pics when you finsh the other half :thumb:

Mike
08-07-07, 11:39 PM
omg god do you know how much money you can make on ebay!!! anyway looks good fella post up the pics when you finsh the other half :thumb:

Money or not, i wont be making many more of these at all. Maybe one more. Maybe.

Next up are carbon door capping, carbon interior door release trim frame things, carbon binnacle cover etc etc

Basically, all the sh1t that you cant buy off the shelf in carbon. IMO carbon front door cards look gash, as they've got no depth, there just flat, no coutours, and look pants :( so ill be getting my @rse in gear and making some spanky contoured items :D

BIGS
08-07-07, 11:42 PM
ah i see you want it all like a one off. fair play well good to see someone taking there time and effort to get something diffrent. well cant wait to see what you make next

Mike
08-07-07, 11:45 PM
ah i see you want it all like a one off. fair play well good to see someone taking there time and effort to get something diffrent. well cant wait to see what you make next

not so much a one off, just the fact that cowlings in carbon, meh there a pain in the butt to make! Hence only the one really.

Any other parts I deem to be easy (door cappings) ill make around 20/30 sets up to sell on here only (fcuk ebay an there fee's lol)

BIGS
09-07-07, 12:01 AM
yea know what you mean they rip you off big time. well when you do go to sell the door cappings let me know i know a few guys that would be intressted

Mike
09-07-07, 12:02 AM
yea know what you mean they rip you off big time. well when you do go to sell the door cappings let me know i know a few guys that would be intressted

will do chap, will be about 2 weeks yet tho.

dannyb
09-07-07, 01:10 AM
That looks really good, I can appreciate how much work laying that stuff is! Be sure to put up finished pics!

draper
09-07-07, 07:14 AM
mincer

Mike
09-07-07, 06:40 PM
still not pleased with it :S so thinks i will be re-doing it...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT0065.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT0066-1.jpg

Mazz
09-07-07, 06:48 PM
rahh, looking good dude, you know that i'll gladly find a home for any carbon goodness you do ;)

Mike
09-07-07, 06:52 PM
rahh, looking good dude, you know that i'll gladly find a home for any carbon goodness you do ;)

lol well next up will be some C/F door cappings ;) and im planning on making a few sets so your more then welcome Mazz :D ill let you know anyway :thumb:

dave.gsi
09-07-07, 07:38 PM
can you make carbon fibre trousers? my jeans seem to be weighing me down on the quarter mile strip lol

Mike
09-07-07, 07:58 PM
can you make carbon fibre trousers? my jeans seem to be weighing me down on the quarter mile strip lol

have a turd before hand and you can keep your trousers on :thumb:

dave.gsi
09-07-07, 08:18 PM
lol. do you think santa pod would let you race in speedos to save weight?!

JSeymour
10-07-07, 10:08 AM
pretty cool, but i dont see the point.

your replacing plastic that doesnt need to be any stronger or lighter?

Mazz
10-07-07, 06:14 PM
It's not for lightness or strength, its for looks...

Mike
10-07-07, 06:20 PM
It's not for lightness or strength, its for looks...

:thumb: just what i literally going to type aswel lol

And TBH, what it cost to make is nowhere near what youd assume either ;) However, my labour is free, where as a pro can charge whatever they like.

craig green
13-07-07, 03:02 PM
Wheres the screw holes etc for attaching it?

I like that a lot but for me its too bright on the GSi dash...

I'd be really interested in some contoured door cards as you put it. I dislike the flat ones that people put on. Could you copy the whole door card with mk2 type handles & pockets in one? Maybe with speaker pods too?

CG

Mike
13-07-07, 03:08 PM
Wheres the screw holes etc for attaching it?

I like that a lot but for me its too bright on the GSi dash...

I'd be really interested in some contoured door cards as you put it. I dislike the flat ones that people put on. Could you copy the whole door card with mk2 type handles & pockets in one? Maybe with speaker pods too?

CG

the screw holes are mounted on the inside, all i need to do is file a hole out the carbon an voila :thumb: it is a little bright tho, when the sun catches it its really silvery lol so i think a normal black carbon one is on the cards :D

Yeah flat door cards suck eggs lol theres no depth there, they just look plain and rather tacky IMO. Not even the 206 Rally cars i feck around with have flat carbon door trims!

Mike
14-07-07, 03:40 PM
Well, tis done, but the iused a different resin for the lower section, and in comparision its got a light yellowy tinge to it and looks sh1t. The top section came out brilliant this morning. Needless to say im a little pissed off now, as ive got no more silver weave to redo another lower part

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT0067.jpg

General Baxter
14-07-07, 03:49 PM
mike if i bring you a mk1 dash can i have a black one lol

Mike
14-07-07, 03:52 PM
mike if i bring you a mk1 dash can i have a black one lol

LMFAO! A black carbon Mk1 dash, er i suppose so :) , but it would take mega amounts of time tho!! I mean like mega hours lol

craig green
14-07-07, 04:48 PM
Whats the tape in the headunit? lol

Mike
14-07-07, 10:19 PM
Whats the tape in the headunit? lol

Fcuk knows lol that same tape has been in there since 2004 :D i just use the CD changer :thumb:

Mazz
15-07-07, 07:54 PM
ooh a black mk1 dash - is it genuine GB?
I think the normal black/grey carbon would look better, although the silver is different :)

Mike
15-07-07, 09:34 PM
Har Har, a half finished Carbon door capping, just needs the top coat completing, and then buffing up proper bo shiney...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/101_0080.jpg

General Baxter
15-07-07, 09:35 PM
best make a cambelt cover seeing as you pulled it to bits lol

Mike
15-07-07, 09:38 PM
best make a cambelt cover seeing as you pulled it to bits lol

Brilliant idea :D but it was broke before i touched it lol

novashaw
15-07-07, 10:24 PM
is all that stuff expencive to do? i know you did it your self but is it hard work?

nice job by the way.

Mike
15-07-07, 10:27 PM
is all that stuff expencive to do? i know you did it your self but is it hard work?

nice job by the way.

No not really, the cowling cost around ?27 all in. As for how hard, it just depends on what your doing with it. The cowling was bitch to do, where as the door cappings are so easy im comparison lol

Thanks for the comment tho :thumb:

novaco
16-07-07, 06:07 PM
im liking them door cappings mike :P

Ash
18-07-07, 12:46 PM
do you take orders? lol

Mike
18-07-07, 01:40 PM
do you take orders? lol

Not on the cowlings, they take forever to make TBH and i cant be bothered making another one lol

Mazz
22-07-07, 06:46 PM
I'd love a pair of door cappings dude! I'll let you touch my bonnet :D

Mike
22-07-07, 06:49 PM
I'd love a pair of door cappings dude! I'll let you touch my bonnet :D

lol if you look in my mincing thread mazz, theres some pictures :thumb: