PDA

View Full Version : Funky noise?

sulphur
08-07-07, 04:42 PM
Right, it only makes it when i'm either idling, or i've took my foot off the accelerator. It sounds like there's a cable being dragged behind, or something slightly grinding but I haven't got a clue what it is. Me being no whiz with motors, i kinda need to know what it is 'cos it's really buggin me :confused:
It's coming from the engine bay but lookin from underneath or from above i can't see anything. There's nothing hangin or draggin but it's pissin me off.
Any ideas lads? Any help appreciated :)

Lee
08-07-07, 05:20 PM
Only on idle or off power? Does it sound like a vibration or a lose screw? The front bumper clips on the sides are notorious for coming loose and rattling. Also check theres nothing hitting the alternator fins, might be the throttle cable (not knowing what car you have) as it will tighten up when accelerating (mine sits very close to the alt, I have to cable tie it out of the way)

Riggy
08-07-07, 08:21 PM
car is a GSI lee ,

cant think what the noise can be from that , but if you get chance , nip down durring the week and lets have a looksy

sulphur
08-07-07, 11:33 PM
It makes it on idle and off power, goes away when the foot goes down but comes back when i lift off completely. Bumper is screwed on so can't be that, handbrake cable is a touch loose but it's not that, that's a completely different 'rattle'.:confused:
Wouln't mind nippin up rig but wont be free till week tomorrow, got keys for new house so been decorating every night till around midnight, n move in on friday so pretty hectic.:( Hows pepe goin on anyway buddy?

Stuart
09-07-07, 09:19 AM
when the noise appears, press the clutch in... if the noise goes away then its the clutch release bearing.

Adam
09-07-07, 03:04 PM
when the noise appears, press the clutch in... if the noise goes away then its the clutch release bearing.
Other way round :p

Check anything around the wheels, altho that would probably make a noise all the time, check the brake disc shields etc.

hendrix
09-07-07, 03:19 PM
Check anything around the wheels, altho that would probably make a noise all the time, check the brake disc shields etc.
Thats the problem I had :roll:

Stuart
09-07-07, 03:49 PM
Other way round :p

erm any ive seen have been noisy without a load as such on them, and when compressed in have been silent...

Adam
09-07-07, 04:01 PM
How can it make a noise with the clutch pedal released? Its just sitting not doing anything?

The bearing only spins when you press the clutch and it touches the clutch cover?

Stuart
09-07-07, 04:04 PM
its always touching the cover though.... jsut not excerting force (hence why you have to adjsut the cable, and why you dont have a laod of free play in the pedal before it does anything)

Adam
09-07-07, 04:12 PM
Fair point.