PDA

View Full Version : sump gasket c20xe

coombsey
07-07-07, 11:53 AM
been to vauxhall they do two types a 2 peice cork one and a rubber conversion one which is 1 peice which is better thx

gazz
07-07-07, 11:56 AM
i've got the one piece rubber one on mine ..
go for that one.:thumb:

coombsey
07-07-07, 11:59 AM
its about 10 quid cheaper too

John
07-07-07, 01:54 PM
I used the rubber one on mine too and so far no leaks. If you use the rubber one you MUST use shorter bolts, otherwise you'll be cracking liitle bits off the bottom of your block! i also used a little vauxhall cement sealer, but use it sparingly!

Philsutton
08-07-07, 02:53 PM
we use the one piece baffle and rubber gasket off a 1.8 ecotech

Dar
08-07-07, 03:17 PM
Phil is that gasket one piece and have a groove in the middle for the baffle plate to sit in?

Kind of like this [- rather than having two gaskets with the baffle plate sat in the middle. If so do you have a part number for it?

Philsutton
08-07-07, 03:20 PM
yep thats the badger, not sure on the part number all I know they are about ?35 but its normally worth it as it best way we have found to stop the sumps leaking.

Dar
08-07-07, 03:53 PM
Thanks Phil. This is just the sort of thing i've been looking for. I can work it out from the info above

Lee
08-07-07, 04:53 PM
After the ballache I experienced fitting mine back on t'other day, i think ill probably opt for one of these next time i take it to bits.

coombsey
08-07-07, 05:09 PM
from vauxhall the rubber one is 32.40 ish and the cork one is 43.12ish (pair)
i had trouble with the cork one as the top one always moved done it now and hasnt leaked in 4 months

Dar
09-07-07, 10:37 AM
Phil, Would the engines that these sump gaskets come from be the X18XE?
Looking further in to this there are shed loads of gaskets that would do. As much help as you can give with regards to what car etc would be fantastic.

The book is also listing the same sump gasket for a X20XEV but thats besides the point. The gasket does look different in the crappy little piccy but thats no real indication.

Philsutton
09-07-07, 08:13 PM
yes thats same as the 2lt eco tech, but yes you got it about right there

John
09-07-07, 08:21 PM
Dar, i used my original xe baffle plate, and used a c20ne rubber gasket from a mk3 astra to fit around it, cost me about 11 quid from vauxhall. Hope this helps.

Dar
09-07-07, 08:51 PM
Thanks Phil.

G88KAG - Did you have to put the baffle plate kinda inside the gasket? So you have one gasket that seals the block and the sump but contains the baffle plate in the middle.

Philsutton
09-07-07, 09:01 PM
yep the other way to do it is just get the rubber gasket that slots over the baffle plate. It goes over each end an seals both sides of the baffle plate.

John
10-07-07, 07:48 PM
Thanks Phil.

G88KAG - Did you have to put the baffle plate kinda inside the gasket? So you have one gasket that seals the block and the sump but contains the baffle plate in the middle.

yeah thats how it works dar. you'll find though that if you tighten them unevenly or too tight, then it tends to squeeze the gasket out. Like i already said i used a little vauxhall grey sealer, shorter bolts and tightened to 9nm.
you can kinda see it here.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/xe%20conversion/100_1319.jpg

After the sump was back on , any excess was wiped off. Vauxhall recommend you give it 24hrs to set. it then sets like solid urethane (ish), in case you were worrying that any might come loose and block oils strainer/pump etc. Most modern vauxhalls have the sump "glued" in this way without any gasket at all.

Dar
10-07-07, 09:06 PM
Thanks, thats very helpful:thumb:

Dar
15-07-07, 06:49 PM
There is an update on this for anyone who uses the baffle plate with the bonded gasket to it (The method that Phil describes).

If you are running ARP rod bolts then the baffle plate will foul on cylinder 4. There are little sections that stick up towards the bores. The one directly under cylinder four has to be bent back a bit so that it dosen't foul the ARP rod bolt. Some of the others are also quite close so it maybe prudent to bend the rest back a bit also.