PDA

View Full Version : Emissions?

Andy
05-07-07, 08:42 PM
I know this isnt a nova but is sort of!
Anyway the mrs 1.2 8v corsa went for a MOT and failed on emissions,am i right in thinking it could be lambda sensor??
It failed on this last year and got a new one i think why would it have gone again??? roughly how muck are these??
thanks,Andy.:thumb:

Adam
05-07-07, 08:48 PM
Do you have the emissions printout?

Andy
05-07-07, 08:49 PM
i dont yet havent picked it up yet.why??

Adam
05-07-07, 08:55 PM
Because exactly which part of the test it failed on can tell you probably what caused it fail.

Was the engine fully warmed up? When i took my corsa 1.2i, engine was freezing(1/2mile drive to garage), the guy put it on the emissions tester straight away and told me it had failed. So i told him leave it running through the mot, then test the emissions at the end.
He agreed, and it passed easily,Lol.

Saloony
05-07-07, 08:57 PM
i dont yet havent picked it up yet.why??
It would give some idea of what it is, but still a stab in the dark. Does the car get used and thrashed much if at all. Cars that dont and good hard rev or two forces the cat to get working. Most testers stick to the rules and just take to fast idle, if i can get them through i will.

Andy
05-07-07, 09:02 PM
its been stood for 6 weeks??? so can i say to him....."warm it up then show me"???also yeah would have been stone cold.got dropped off the night before the test

Adam
05-07-07, 09:03 PM
It depends when he did the test, you want it fully warmed up.

Andy
05-07-07, 09:05 PM
he did it yesterday or today.......he failed it on 2 tyres aswell which are fine i expected only an advisory for them! i thought it was harsh

Adam
05-07-07, 09:08 PM
Testers opinion really.

Andy
05-07-07, 09:09 PM
so i wont be able to get him to do it again then? and changing the lambda sensor could be a waste of time?

Adam
05-07-07, 09:19 PM
If hes already put it through the computer as a fail he'll have to do a re-test.
Changing the sensor wont be a waste of time if it is that at fault tho.

It could be alot of things tho, cat, coolant sensor, overfueling.

Andy
05-07-07, 09:23 PM
so will the readout tell us what this is??? i think ow lass said it costs to have a re-test though...?

Saloony
05-07-07, 10:25 PM
In test mode if the car fails a Basic Emmissions Test it then heads to a full Cat test where you asked to place an oil temperature probe in and wait for it to hit 80 degree C before you carry on, if bypassed its a bit naughty as the car still could be cold.

Show us the print out, it will tell a manner of thing, air fuel ratio, air leaks, mis-fires blah blah.