PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge wiring

big gra
05-07-07, 12:17 PM
right, ive fitted a 1.6gte petrol tank to my nova, my original tank off the 1.2 carb had a double plug that went into the sender unit, the new tank has a single pin sticking out, ive tried connecting the wires but still dosent work, any help please? sick of running out of fuel! :roll:

Adam
05-07-07, 12:40 PM
The gauge runs via a varying resistance from the sender.
The gauge has a blue/black wire that runs to the sender.
The other wire will be an earth.(So the gauge gets earthed through the sender)

Im not sure how it can only have one pin, have you tried putting the black/blue wire onto that pin?

big gra
05-07-07, 12:56 PM
yea ive tried the blue black wire on the pin, but ive not tried with the brown wire earthing the tank so i will try that!

Adam
05-07-07, 01:06 PM
But without the blue/black connected, the gauge wont get a circuit.....

big gra
05-07-07, 01:11 PM
just crawled underneath the car at the side of the road and got a pic of the sender unit!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/biggra/100_1079.jpg

big gra
05-07-07, 05:47 PM
will it work if i put the black and blue wire to the pin, and the brown wire to one of teh bolts on the sender itself?

Adam
05-07-07, 08:17 PM
What is this pipe on the sender?
Mine looks the same as yours, but has two wires. The other wire is where that pipe is on yours.

Riggy
05-07-07, 09:22 PM
yeah thats a std gte sender , i swapped mine for a gsi sender to get mine working , but i think it would work like how you mentioned

big gra
06-07-07, 10:33 AM
What is this pipe on the sender?
Mine looks the same as yours, but has two wires. The other wire is where that pipe is on yours.

thats the fuel line to the pump! going to be changing rear beam soon, so im taking the fuel tank off again to clean it up, so we will se what happens! :confused:

Adam
06-07-07, 06:30 PM
O right, aye im used to spi tanks with the line on top.

Maybe just find someone with a gte tank fitted and ask them how the senders wired.