PDA

View Full Version : bore size phenomenanan...

therealnovaboy
04-07-07, 09:45 PM
what is the actual bore of an e16se block. i measured mine today and got 78.90mm when the haynes manual states it should be 79.0mm. how can an engine be a smaller diameter bore when its done 100000 odd miles. the number on the top of the piston is 78.95 which is bigger than what i measure. how is this.

could somebody please tell me the actual bore of a e16se and the size of a standard piston. is 78.95 the size of a standard piston? has anyone els come across this and is it the haynes manual thats wrong.

i measured it with a bore gauge so im 100% sure it is 78.90 mm. please help as my head hurts.

Mike
04-07-07, 09:46 PM
what did you use to measure it?

therealnovaboy
04-07-07, 09:55 PM
a bore gauge and micrometer. i can garantee my maximum bore diameter is 78.90mm.

Mike
04-07-07, 09:58 PM
a bore gauge and micrometer. i can garantee my maximum bore diameter is 78.90mm.

micrometer or digital vernier? as i know people do get confused between the both?

I was just thinking that if it was a digital vernier, was about ask the last time it was calibrate thats all lol

therealnovaboy
04-07-07, 10:03 PM
it was a digital vernier but its brand new as is the bore gauge. i think this is the first time theyve ever been used.

Mike
04-07-07, 10:21 PM
it was a digital vernier but its brand new as is the bore gauge. i think this is the first time theyve ever been used.

New or not it would still need calibrating with calibrating blocks ;)

therealnovaboy
04-07-07, 10:30 PM
no, they come calibrated. why would they sell them if they werent calibrated. i dont even think you can and besides the equipment the factory use to calibrate them would far better than you or i could ever match.

either way the question still stands is a piston at 78.95mm standard or has my engine been bored?

Mike
04-07-07, 10:33 PM
no, they come calibrated. why would they sell them if they werent calibrated. i dont even think you can and besides the equipment the factory use to calibrate them would far better than you or i could ever match.

I have a digital vernier of my own, aswell as a micrometer and a VHG, and a NVQ in Engineering & fabrication that has taugth me to calibrate my tools as some do not come perfectly calibrated, and they DO wonder out after a period of time/non use :thumb:

They equipment they use is just the same as any steel fabrication company or metals stockist uses :thumb: