PDA

View Full Version : CV boot

CP
04-07-07, 07:45 PM
Right can anyone help with a problem thats really starting to feck me off. I've changed the near side( nearest the wheel hub) cv boot twice now and each time it has slipped off its locator groove at the wide end at a trackday and jizzed cv grease all over my wheels etc etc.
I've been getting everything really clean and have tried cable tieing or the metal clip that they supply. Neither seem that good - anyone tried anything else?:confused:

Riggy
04-07-07, 07:52 PM
have you been putting the metal clip on with the special tool charles , as they work if you use that ,

as for cable ties dont use std size ones as they come off as son as you turn the wheel , but you can get some really wide size ones which work fine

CP
04-07-07, 09:55 PM
hmm its only on that side of the car - i was wondering if i should cut down on the amount of grease - if the wheel spins up struggling for grip the centrifugal forces on the grease could be forcing the boot off?

SRI crazy
04-07-07, 11:33 PM
i use jubilee clips and the boot never moves when i use them just join two standard sizes ones together and bob's ur uncle lol lol lol

Stuart
05-07-07, 08:49 AM
charles, is it the long or the short shaft thats the problem?

It could be that the shafts are "plunging" too much due to the ammount the car is lowered, so the way the boot is fitted means it gets pulled about with the excess plunge from travel and then drags the boot off.... try getting a longer "universal" boot to see if that helps....

Chris
05-07-07, 10:57 AM
I had this with mine, did my tits in.

What you need to do it...

1) Remove shaft
2) Get another hub washer (big one which goes on with hub nut)
3) Get a good quality boot designed for the car, none of this universal crap
4) Fit the boot with the metal clips
5) Put the new washer on the end of the CV joint
6) Fit the shaft back in place as per normal.

The washer on the inside should stop the shaft moving in and out too much. IIRC you only need between 5mm movement in the shaft, anymore is pointless. I had the same problems with mine, only after fitting the LSD and slicks though. Sorted mine out.