PDA

View Full Version : FAO Engine builders/guru's

Dave-H
04-07-07, 05:44 PM
Right I'm building a 1600 8v using e16se block, It's done 64k but has been standing around 2 and a half years without a head or sump. The crank has'nt been moved so the oil is still in the journals and it turns fine. The bores are mint and the pistons have come up lovely BUT is it worth taking the rods and crank out and fitting new big-end and main bearings? De-seaming the rods etc while there out?

If I did, I'd like the crank balanced so does anyone know of anyone in or around Stoke on trent capable of doing this?

Or just chance it and see as I know for a fact the engine was very strong before hand....

Ta,
Dave

Adam
04-07-07, 05:58 PM
Try Yates Engineering in Longton.

Have the bores not rusted etc? They usually rust overnight if left bare.

Dave-H
04-07-07, 06:02 PM
I thought about Yate's, got by shells from there last time but did'nt realise they did things like that?? No they're fine! I'll get some photo's in a bit....

Any idea on costs? Ideally i'd like them to build the main bearings back up again as I know the front oil seal will piss out if I do it, lol

Stuart
04-07-07, 06:03 PM
have you checked the bores for ovalness at several locations down the bore... otherwise how do you know its fine, other than shiney and clean lol

Adam
04-07-07, 06:08 PM
I thought about Yate's, got by shells from there last time but did'nt realise they did things like that?? No they're fine! I'll get some photo's in a bit....

Any idea on costs? Ideally i'd like them to build the main bearings back up again as I know the front oil seal will piss out if I do it, lol
Theres a shed load of places in S-o-T that do engine work.
Look in yellow pages for engine reconditioning :thumb:

Dave-H
04-07-07, 06:30 PM
No I have'nt checked for ovalness because of how good the lump was prior to being taken out. Suppose I should though, what can I use?

Long live the Nova, have you had work done by any that you'd recommend? I'd like someone reputable, theres not really anyway of knowing it's right until it's running so peace of mind would be good ;)

Adam
04-07-07, 06:32 PM
Personally i haven't mate no.

Dave-H
04-07-07, 06:48 PM
I'll give Yates' a bell then.

Sold that cam yet? ;)

Adam
04-07-07, 06:50 PM
Lol, still got it mate but its awaiting collection.
I'll let you know if it comes back for sale.

Dave-H
04-07-07, 07:01 PM
Lol, no worries fella.

Stuart
04-07-07, 07:01 PM
an ovality gauge.... a good engine builder will have one and know how to use it.

I wouldnt trust an engine thats just rocked off the prodution line if i were building a proper engine.....so "knowing its good" means feck all.

Dave-H
04-07-07, 07:28 PM
Lol, ok mate. I'll look into all my options for building it, don;t want to be re-boring etc as pistons are ****ing expensive!

Stuart
04-07-07, 07:32 PM
if it dosent need a rebore then a light hone will be fine... but if the bores are a bit out then a rebore is needed... the way of the world im affraid

Dave-H
04-07-07, 08:33 PM
Aye, knowing my luck i'll need a re-bore! ******* Nova's....

I'll take it to someone who knows there stuff and get them to check it over. Needs doing properly TBH but I'm a tight **** ;)