PDA

View Full Version : suspension 60mm

Anonymous
20-03-02, 10:52 PM
(on a roll here!)
Local yellow paper has set of 4 60mm minted (still in box) springs for nova for ?50! Thinking about buying but I'm looking for advice on loweing in general. Read FAQ bit in archive (info overload!)and shed some light. Basically (and forgive my ignorance) can I just remove current (standard) springs and "insert" 60mm ones or do you need to replace shocks aswell. A friend thinks it can be done but may need to get a set of gas shocks for new springs (quoted ?20 each)? I'm not looking to go overboard - I just want to reduce the grand canyon that currently resides between the wheels and the arches!!!! I have SR wheels (165,65,14 - v ancient!) at present. Is 60mm too low? Are there any other adjustments needed (cambre, roll bars?) If so please advise or can anyone recommend alternatives? Trying to do on budget.

Anonymous
21-03-02, 12:42 AM
everything wil be fine, but dont expect your rear shocks to last too long with -60 springs on them!!

Anonymous
21-03-02, 01:20 AM
Cheers - what do you recommend shoks wise on the bak + roughly how much?

Ade

"May the seeds of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woooomaan!" (Neil - THE young ones '81)

Anonymous
21-03-02, 11:00 PM
should have no probs mate but it'd be alot better with some shorter shox for safety but its upto you.

Anonymous
22-03-02, 05:07 PM
if you can jack up car and the springs don't come lose at back then will past the MOT but if get quite lose or fall out will fail,make sure fronts are zip tied in place for MOT too that wot i did and passed first time, mate didn't and failed!
Shorter shock's/gas ones from www.tuning.co.uk are the place to go!they are well helpfull and have prety much everything you'd need from them!

ED;)

Anonymous
22-03-02, 11:20 PM
Like Dicko said -60mm springs on standard shocks will make your shocks go alot quicker than normal. Depending on how much you want to spend, G-Max do a cheap set of shocks, but if you can afford it perhaps some Apex shocks, better quality than the G-max. Then is you have a bit of dosh go for some Adjustables (Avo are well recommened)or if you're loaded get some coilovers :D

Anonymous
24-03-02, 11:45 PM
My Pi -60mm springs stay put when the cars jacked up without being loose at all and that's with standard GTE shocks.

My Puma -40 rear springs however did come loose when jacked up....weird....I'm sure they must be lower than -40mm.
I'm going to fit them on the GTE and see what happens.

Ideally, you want shocks to go with the springs but you'll be fine to do just the springs for now, then fit shocks at a later date (which is what I'm doing) as long as your current shocks are in ok condition to start off with.