PDA

View Full Version : XE suspension

womble sri
04-07-07, 12:12 AM
ok so i have just bought my first big block nova and the rumours are true that they do not handle that well not trying to spark an argument but it handles like my old astra estate lol

it has the big piston bilstein dampners and courtenay 'uprated' 2.0 springswhich look like the car isnt low at all. it has got so much roll in it when stationery you push the car and it rocks where as my small blocks have been stiff as my cock lol

is it because of the dampners or are the springs to soft as i was thinking about getting some lower/stiffer springs or would i be better off changing the whole lot? i know the previous owner got raped by courtenay for near on 600 quid for the kit but are they any good? ive seen some spax rsx coilovers on the cheap with adjustable everything has anyone else used these? and do they have to be for a conversion or do you just go for the gsi ones? and do sri's come with anti roll bars as standard?

i may try my apex kit off the nova i just sold to my friend at the weekend im sure he wont mind but please any ideas are welcome

cheers neil

loggyboy
04-07-07, 01:20 PM
If it rocks when stationary the shocks are probly ****ed. My XE has spax shocks n springs at the front, and despite the springs being too soft under load (ie weight transfer) the shocks are fine and keep the car free from excesive bounce and reboud expect in extreme cirumstances.

ANDYRACER
04-07-07, 02:04 PM
Like loggyboyy said, they sound a tad knackerd.

Coilovers with 280lb springs is what you want. :thumb:

womble sri
04-07-07, 03:32 PM
ok cheers lads anyone wanna buy a bilstein premium kit lol there only a few months old though?

chris gsi
04-07-07, 08:00 PM
i use the bilstein kit from courtenay and find them to work well on the road and on the track, have you got poly bushes fitted? as it made a lot of difference to mine, but i will change mine for avo coil-over kit as its just a track car now

John
04-07-07, 08:04 PM
i have big piston yellow billies and some custom springs from coilsprings 89, and have NO problems whatsover. Are you sure the dampers are ok?

womble sri
04-07-07, 10:36 PM
it dosent rock when stationery i mean it has got a lot of roll i.e when you push it it moves a lot where as my others where rock solid. it sits really high too (see pic) so could it be the spongey springs?

http://i7.tinypic.com/53eu8g2.jpg

womble sri
04-07-07, 10:37 PM
and yes it has got polybushes

Jack
05-07-07, 08:51 AM
My billys and courtenay springs are solid as a rock...

I had a spac RSX kit, the adjustable ones, on my old hatch. Admittedly it was a 1.2 so not as heavy as an XE, but there was hardly any suspension travel. Skipped around a bit on a 1.2 as it was too solid for the car really, but might be better for an XE. Dunno if the springs could handle it though.

GRUNT 16V
05-07-07, 12:44 PM
im using Koni adjustables with Eibach pro sport springs .