PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve & distributor

Anonymous
24-03-02, 04:34 PM
Hi peeps,

Anyone know about the exhaust gas return valve? I've got a hole for one in the back of my GTE engine, but haven't got one of them. I'm fitting the engine on twin carbs next friday and was wondering if I really needed it, or can I just block it of with a bolt or something?

Also I've noted that when you fit twin carbs on the above engine there's nowehere for the vacuum line from the distributor to go to. Do you just blank it off from the ditributor? If so what happens to the advance/retard mechanism for adjusting the timing etc?

Cheers for the help! :)

Anonymous
24-03-02, 07:13 PM
Funny you should ask...

Ive got a 1600 head and twin 40s on my 1400 Nova.. The hole can be safely blocked off. The 'proper' inlet manifold has a flat part in the casting that blanks the hole off, but mine didnt so we tapped it using an M12 tap and bolt. Problem is that the threads are shallow on an M12 as the hole is bigger than the optimum tap size so you will need to go quite long on the threads then use threadlock to deal it in place.. If you can, also put a copper washer between the bolt head and the head itself..

If you have a 1/2" AF tap and bolt then try this as its bigger than an M12 (.5" is 12.7mm) so the thread depth will be bigger..

As for the vaccum, line we usually just leave it off, but I believe 40s from a Nova sport actually have a vaccum part for the distributor (thats why theyre better than std twin 40s)

Anonymous
24-03-02, 09:40 PM
Cheers rally ;)