PDA

View Full Version : engine mods advice

Anonymous
21-03-02, 10:56 AM
Right, any oldies will remember me askin this ages ago, but i cant find the post anymore, so i jus wanna recap on what i need to get some nice horsies out of my engine.

I am picking up a set of weber twin 40's, which are sport items, for a nice price. Also hopin to get a cam at donny.

I know the weber manifold wont match the 1400 head, so i have a 1300 head, which is being modded, the ports are being made to 1600 spec, big valves and the usual work, i also need a 4 branch from a 1600, and he is matchin the ports to the manifold.

Also replacin the oil pump, and i have been told to replace some internal parts and upgrade a few, but i cant remember what they were! big end bolts? conrod? i dunno!

So at the end of the day, i am looking at te following:

1400SR
irmscher sprt twin 40's
1300 head, big valves, 1600 ports,
1600 4 branch,
piper cam,

what else do i need??

Any tips?

I know as soon as its done, rolling road, but apart from that, any ideas?

cheers 4 the help.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/donnison7

Anonymous
21-03-02, 11:38 PM
Ive got a 1400NV (carb) bottom end running twin 40s on a GTE head with the oval port manifold. The bottom ends are strong on Novas and unless you want to up the safe rev limit from 6000-6500k you should be OK if youve got a good bottom end. Otherwise look for ARP big end bolts which hold the bottom end together better and allow higher revs..

The other problem with revs is the hydraulic tappets which can lock with too much oil pressure and revs and effectively hold the valve open - not good.. These tend to kick in at 6.5k - you can remove the pins from the tops of each one which means they are better etc.. get them nice and free by squeezing out all the old oil from them before refitting them. Taking the pin out will also mean they dont stay full through and can lead to increased tappet wear and the engine sounding tappety till they fill on startup..

HTH

Paul..

Anonymous
22-03-02, 12:11 AM
purchase a 'tea cosy' style hat and all will be sorted as if by magic

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS