PDA

View Full Version : carbon trauma!

Anonymous
20-03-02, 10:42 PM
My 1.2 J reg has done over 129,000 - runs ok, had new head gasket, dizzy unit and carb but I've noticed "pinking" noise when accelerating - usually going uphill. Been told its carbon build up which heats up causing fuel to ignite early throwing timing out - losing power (and excessive fuel). Pain in the arse as do lots of motorway driving and have sluggish acceleration at about 75-80mph. Haynes gives fairly detailed inst on decarbing but looks lengthy. Been quoted ?500 for decarb at local garage. Is this a fairly straightforward DIY job, or garage job?. I'm sort of confident around engine area but concerned about possible engine damage if not done properly. Is Haynes complete for J reg or is there anything to look out for. Can engine remain in car? OR is there an easier "off the shelf" way???

Ade

Anonymous
21-03-02, 09:21 AM
redX says it can remove carbon (but not brilliantly. worth a try for ?5 or so

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
21-03-02, 03:36 PM
i'd reccommend 10k boost

http://www.srownersclub.co.uk

Anonymous
21-03-02, 04:19 PM
scuse my ignorance? 10K boost? Whats that then? (smart site by the way)

"May the seeds of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woooomaan!" (Neil - THE young ones '81)

Anonymous
21-03-02, 06:03 PM
it's power in a can, u can get it from most big tuning shops. get two cans (bout ?25) spray into the engine and it cleans out all the carbon. the first can gets rid of the big particles and the second cleans out the remaining smaller ones. you can see it working cos it fills the whole road with thick smoke from the exhaust (all the shit your'e cleaning out), plus it gives a smoother running engine and a few more bhp. u can't lose mate :D

http://www.srownersclub.co.uk

Anonymous
21-03-02, 11:51 PM
decarb is fairly straightforward if youre a confident.. All it really means is a good cleandown of the head. Probably a days work (weekend if its your first time) if theres nothing else wrong..

Need headgasket and full headset to do.. new head bolts (unless the ones in there are new and can be reused - but probably not worth it) and patience.. a dremel can be handy for removing the crap - oh and a valve spring compressor.. All you need to do is basicsally remove the head and clean the valves, guides, inlet and exhaust ports (mainly the valves and seats) then lap the valves back into the seats and reassemble....

Anonymous
21-03-02, 11:53 PM
Oh and I would check that whatever cleaner you put in is Ok with Catalytic converters too.. before you use them - if they coat the metals with crap it blows out the cat dont work...