PDA

View Full Version : Solid mount problems

seannova
01-07-07, 09:18 PM
has anyone using solid mounts had any troubles lining the rear mount up? was trial fitting the let earlier but no way was the rear mount gonna go, no matter what i tried,
in the end i elongated the hole on the gearbox mount to make things a bit easier, engine sits fine now.
Anyone else had to do this or have i got a dodgey mount?

craig green
01-07-07, 09:29 PM
it makes sense to have all the mounts & bolts loosely assembled when you lift or drop the lump in. This gives a greater tolerance for things lining up. If you then support the engine level & in the correct position, tighten it all up. Everything will stand a greater chance of wpulling up right & avoids filing out holes etc.

Thats what I've always done on valvers & putting my own lumps in.

seannova
01-07-07, 09:41 PM
thats what i did, all mounts were slack but still not enough give to line it up,
is the rear solid mount symetrical, ie: can be fitted either way round?

craig green
01-07-07, 10:13 PM
Hmm. I think the rear mount may be directional come to think of it.... Not near my garage, so cant check.

R1CH
01-07-07, 10:32 PM
Nah don't think its directional, might be wrong tho. I had to elongate the slot on the rear mount for my LET, once done every thing lines up and sits fine.
I'm just using 2 front std mounts will with bits of poly bushes in and filled with TigerSeal, rear mount is a home made job from a rear beam polybush.

Rich

pul16v
01-07-07, 10:32 PM
std ones are directiional i know tht

Riggy
02-07-07, 02:31 PM
you have to eleongate the hole on the rear mounts anyway :thumb:

Austin_Nova16
03-07-07, 01:57 PM
Have always elongated the rear g./box mount hole..

seannova
03-07-07, 05:58 PM
Glad to hear its not just me then.
Thanks for the replys