PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan On manuel switch?

lee_edwards
01-07-07, 06:34 PM
right..

well i removed the switched and put a piece of wire on each lug and put them to the battery and found out that the black wire on switch was the POS and the brown with white trace was NEG.

so i have splined into the black wire and then touched the wire onto the POS on battery and nothing happens? (good job i checked before i wired it to switc + fuse box lol)

does anyone have any suggestions? should i spline the brown wire and place it onto a perminate NEG or would that give me problems?

thanks lee

Lee
01-07-07, 07:17 PM
lol, your trying to make it more complicaed than it is.

Take the two wires from the temp switch on the LHS of the rad as you look at it from the front.

Splice a wire into each of these wires, and run them to the dash. Put a switch between them. Job done.

This gives the fan the proper operation from the temp switch as well as a manual overide on the dash.

lee_edwards
01-07-07, 07:56 PM
right well i have tried this too lol..

i cut both the brown wires on the switch and touched them and nothing happened even with the ignition on and started.

so now i have decided tojust make it a total manuel - so i am running a main NEG to the brown and running a live through a fuse and switch on the dash

Lee
01-07-07, 08:40 PM
When you say you cut them and touched them, which ends did you touch, the wires going to the temp switch, or to the car lol

Cos youve got a problem if the fan didnt go when you touched the wires going to the loom.

lee_edwards
01-07-07, 08:48 PM
lol im not that thik.

i touch the 2 wires on the loom end.

i no 100% the fan works - so tommorow im just going to run a live on a switch and a direct earth.

what size fuse would you reccomend using on the live?

nathan.
01-07-07, 09:07 PM
BT is right.
Your fan should kick in when you touch the wires together.
You've proberly popped a fuse by touching them on the battery.
All you need to do is basically put a switch in between those 2 wires.

lee_edwards
01-07-07, 09:36 PM
ah ha!!!

good job you have a brain ;)

thanks for that buddy it never even crossed my mind.

do i need to fuse that connection?

Chris
02-07-07, 09:09 AM
BT is making it more complicated than it is.

There are two wires going into the fan switch. Brown and Brown/White. The fan is a switched earth, meaning the fan always have +12v ready to go.

Take one length of wire, attach one end to a good earth point. Now cut the wire and connect to one side of the switch you want to use. Now take the cut off from the original wire length and connect to the other side of the switch and splice into the Brown/White wire on the Fan switch.

Lee
02-07-07, 09:17 AM
BT is making it more complicated than it is.

There are two wires going into the fan switch. Brown and Brown/White. The fan is a switched earth, meaning the fan always have +12v ready to go.

Take one length of wire, attach one end to a good earth point. Now cut the wire and connect to one side of the switch you want to use. Now take the cut off from the original wire length and connect to the other side of the switch and splice into the Brown/White wire on the Fan switch.

That sounds complicated lol

lee_edwards
02-07-07, 11:21 AM
easiest way and safer way.. is to put a switch between the two brown wires..

but... do i need to fuse that connection?

Stuart
02-07-07, 11:31 AM
no as it is already fused.

lee_edwards
02-07-07, 12:13 PM
right.... i could do with moving the fuse onto the dash with all the others so its easy to get to incase of it going on a rally.

garyc
02-07-07, 12:25 PM
I'd switch it via a relay, unless you switch is up to it you'll have to keep replacing it.

Adam
02-07-07, 02:00 PM
Just splice a wire to the brown wire, and the brown/wire at the radiator switch. That way the switch can still operate the fan, and so can the manual switch you want to wire.

Wont need a relay as long as you use good enough wire and switch that can take the amps the fan pulls.

Ash C
03-07-07, 09:41 PM
i just ran a wire from the brown/white wire that comes out of the fan connecter to a switch on the dash then from that to a earth point. it makes it completely manual but i just watch the gauge. works fine for me.

loggyboy
04-07-07, 12:00 AM
Easy than all this is just to jamb a bit of wire between the connections and have it on all the time!