PDA

View Full Version : Digidash dictates when car starts

Iain
29-06-07, 03:07 PM
So I have an odd problem, does anybody have any suggestions? lol

My digidash is wired in to the original loom, I assume correctly. With neither of the bulbs behind the dash in, the engine starts first time. With either of the bulbs in behind the dash, the engine starts first time. With both bulbs in behind the dash the engine just turns over with no spark!

I can use a broken bulb in place of no bulb and it still runs, however this doesn't solve the problem as I can only see half the dash.

Any input is appreciated, I have no idea where to start solving this problem.

Adam
29-06-07, 03:51 PM
Wheres the ignition live for the ecu wired to?
The digidash ignition live by any chance?

Iain
29-06-07, 04:39 PM
The digidash ignition live comes from the original clocks loom. I've attached the transducer and engine ignition live to the top wire of fuse 17 on the fusebox (thick black one).

Adam
29-06-07, 04:55 PM
Perhaps the engine ignition live isn't staying live when you crank.

HMmm, altho the engine starts without the dash...

Im pretty sure fuse 17 isn't the clocks ignition live/

dan23
29-06-07, 08:10 PM
before you try anything run a earth from the battery to the dash fit both bulbs an give it a try
then if that doesnt work put the earth back an try again but this time use igng live on dash to live from battery

you have two blac wires one is ing live other is trailer warning (on nova loom)

it should be a fault with one the above if not i must be how the hazards are wired up do they work

Iain
30-06-07, 12:25 AM
you have two blac wires one is ing live other is trailer warning (on nova loom)The wiring diagram I used seems to think both black wires are ignition live..?

if not i must be how the hazards are wired up do they workAll indicators and hazards work.

Cheers for the help so far, hopefully test out your ideas over the weekend. :thumb:

Iain
30-06-07, 06:53 PM
All igntion lives to battery suffers the same problem. I was going to try earths to battery -ve but I think it's fcuked another bulb so can't try it yet. :roll:

Iain
06-07-07, 02:51 PM
Bump, problem still exists.

Just bought myself a multimeter and found the coil keeps 12v independent of the dash being plugged in. What else could I trouble shoot?

Adam
06-07-07, 06:29 PM
If you KNOW its getting fuel, then the problem is spark. As it wouldn't get fuel if the ecu wasn't seeing the engine rotate.
Maybe the ignition part of the gte's ecu isn't seeing the engine rotation for some reason.

Iain
06-07-07, 06:32 PM
It's definitely a problem with the spark, I had them off and held 'em against the head and saw nothing.

I've been chopping random wires in frustration and found that if I cut, and leave disconnected, the green revcounter wire both bulbs go out and thus the car starts. Is that normal? I wouldn't have thought the revcounter wire would affect the backlighting.

Adam
06-07-07, 06:40 PM
No thats not normal lmao lol

Iain
06-07-07, 06:57 PM
Thought as much lol Well something's screwed :cry:

Iain
07-07-07, 04:28 PM
Just put all ground (brown) wires to battery -ve and all ign live wires (black) to battery +ve, the dash works but neither of the bulbs come on. Not good? :(

Edit: Just took it apart, wtf! Random black/white wire soldered to the middle bulb holder. Seems to have come loose at the other end - Is it even supposed to be there?

http://iainel.no-ip.org/~iain/dodgydash2.JPG

Adam
07-07-07, 06:23 PM
Nope that shouldn't be there.
Looks like someones bodged a track repair with a bit of wire.