PDA

View Full Version : DEAD GTE!

Anonymous
18-03-02, 09:13 PM
Can any1 help me pls! my GTE has had problems of cutting out whilst driving along in any weather condition. This has been goin on about 6/8 months now. Recently it sounded as if it was running on 3 pots, but wen removing each lead to find the culprit, it didnt make any reduction in the idle etc. The next day the bl**dy thing wouldnt start at all! Now i dont even have a spark coming from my coil! Does anyone kno wot it is? ive changed the coil and had my ignition module checked, all is ok there. I've changed the fuel pump relay. I'm so stuck. I need my car on the road but cant afford garage prices so i wanna do it, when i find out the problem! Thanks.

Anonymous
18-03-02, 11:41 PM
Distribitor??? I had a long running problem with a MK2 Golf which was down to the Distribitor, Mine was exactly the same runnin fine at idle but would cut out and feel rough ect, i spent a fortune replacing all electricals apart from the distributor which in the end turned out to be the culprit,

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
19-03-02, 09:19 AM
Could be engine earth strap...

TunaFish is the way forward... you mark my words. :D

Anonymous
19-03-02, 10:40 AM
My GTE runs on three pots when i've been driving on the motorway in the rain. I gave myself a load of electric shocks and found it was No. 3. I've tried replacing the leads (no change), plugs (no change), distubuter cap (no change). Last weekend i changed the rotor arm then drove to london in the wet (100 miles) with no problem. Could be that? my one had a small hole in the insulating gel on the arm, which i was told, may cause it to arc out. For only ?2.40 its worth trying! So far, so good. Also i was told running on three cylinders would put alot of stress on the amplifyer on the coil, so you could have killed that? that would cause a total lack of spark.

Anonymous
20-03-02, 12:12 AM
its the dizzy had same problem on a gte before it sounds excatly the same