PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts out?

Anonymous
18-03-02, 07:31 PM
Ive been at Uni and my Nova 1.3SR Has been rusting away nicely down the side of a neighbours house.. Now I have got it to start but whilst driving along it just cuts out as if it has run out of petrol... Any ideas? Has something seized up? I can drive it around and its fine and then will reoccur... Fuel Pump? Distributor? Dodgey Sparks? I have no idea... as Im a computer student at Uni hehe! Cheeers Adam

Anonymous
19-03-02, 09:33 AM
I've had the same problem - well, i still am having the same problem, just not using my car at the moment.

I have tried changing the Distributer, Coil, Plugs and leads, Nothing wrong with carb...
Still it does it.
Someone on here said it may be the Engine earth strap thats crappy.

Hope this helps mate. I know exactly how bloody irritating it can be.

Driving along quite happily then all of a sudden, no power, knock it into neutral and the battery light etc. come on as the engine has stopped...
Sit and get angry for a few seconds, turn the key and away you go, althoguh sometimes mine did take a bit of starting again.

Oh, and a lad at work reckons it could be a ping pong ball, or similar in the petrol tank..
You drive along, the ball gets sucked over the hole, engine stops... Then the ball is released due to no suction and floats back up... car runs again.
Sounds unlikely i know... but you never know.

TunaFish is the way forward... you mark my words. :D

Anonymous
19-03-02, 11:43 PM
Step 1 - Buy a Haynes Manual for ?12.99 before you start :)

Ok, as before - check all electrical connections - make sure everything is solid and the HT leads arn't doing a lightshow under the bonnet at night (you'll know what I mean if you look under there in the dark with the engine on with all lights off)

Then, check to make sure that all fuel hoses, both by the fuel tank and by the alternator in the engine bay are in good condition ( I.e. not perished and sucking in air instead of providing fuel). This also applies to where ever the fuel lines bend.

OR

It could have something to do with the carburettor settings - but If the unit looks fairly 'set' (If thats a proper term, i.e. all the screws and stuff look like they havn't been changed recently) dont touch it.

HTH

Toby