PDA

View Full Version : need help asap please :( ***Lowering, camber issue**

puss puss
28-06-07, 04:23 PM
hi today well over the past 2 days (thanks rain) i fitted my gsi shocks and 40mm lowering springs today i went out for a test drive and well all is not good.

first thing to go in a staight line the steering wheel is rested to the right (say like u had a staight steering wheel 0 degrees turned it to the right 45 degrees thats what it is like)

and my steering is really really light feels like i have forgot to put the wheels back on or something am guessing that i have messed up the camber or something what are your thoughts?

ty nat :thumb:

Jim Mcrae
28-06-07, 04:34 PM
you need to get camber ajusted for lowereing, i didnt and although the outsides of the tyres looked fine the insides were down to mental, not good!

ELLIS GSI
28-06-07, 06:55 PM
it will need the track (toe in, toe out) doing aswell. four wheel lazer tracking should work a treat.

Lee
28-06-07, 07:42 PM
Itll be the tracking thats out. Camber wont be affected that much from a 40mm drop.

Unless your shocks have elliptical holes and youve set some wild camber yourself lol

get them both checked.

big gra
28-06-07, 08:04 PM
we had a thread about this yesterday, has all you need to know buddy!!

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83034

puss puss
28-06-07, 10:46 PM
wow thanks for the awsome replys the nova is very scary to drive so ill go get them checked out 2moz thanks everyone :)

EDIT: are wot a nitemare :( things never go to plan! not fair

took car down the garage with the lowering front stucts (with springs) and rear shocks (with springs) all them on etc went to go get the tracking done they put there lazer up against it he said it is so fair out there is nothing he can do. so i had to change to standard front suspension and then he could do it.

Whats up with that? atm my back is lowered and my front is raised lol? need help asap :(

puss puss
29-06-07, 06:08 PM
bump soz new question read above :D

Mikey_J
29-06-07, 07:33 PM
Wtf did you do when you changed the shocks over? Did you move the track rod ends or what? Changing the shocks shouldnt of affected your tracking i wouldnt of thought or if it did it would only be slightly out? Correct me if im wrong anyone

Lee
29-06-07, 07:37 PM
It will effect the tracking slightly from a 40mm drop, and may effect camber if there are the eliptical holes on the bottom of the struts, and youve just bolted them up willy nilly.

Even so, a decent tyre place should be able to sort it. Sounds like theyre a bit useless to me.

puss puss
29-06-07, 07:38 PM
never touched them bud i replaced the front shocks bk with the standard shocks tracking goes bk to normal they did saw prehaps the new shocks are bent but they arent cant notice any difference from the old shocks (compared new ones and old ones) just the springs are a tard different

puss puss
29-06-07, 07:40 PM
i took them to formula 1 by asda in ipswich he said the tracking was so far out that there isnt enough thread on the adjuster to get them to sit true.

Mike
29-06-07, 07:40 PM
you must have moved the trackrod end surely???

puss puss
29-06-07, 07:43 PM
i promise you bud i did not touch the trackrod end the only way i think i could of possiby moved it is wen i took the struct of the whole brake assemly moves down with the (wishbone?) but i noticed this action and used a tyre and some wood to hold it up.

Lee
29-06-07, 07:44 PM
My guess is the camber is totally wrong, which has knocked the tracking out big time.

Get the front wheels off it, loosen the two bolts that hold the strut to the hub carrier, and see if you can move the hub carrier back and forth a lot. if you can, take the car to someone who can handle camber AND tracking, not just tracking.

puss puss
29-06-07, 07:46 PM
My guess is the camber is totally wrong, which has knocked the tracking out big time.

Get the front wheels off it, loosen the two bolts that hold the strut to the hub carrier, and see if you can move the hub carrier back and forth a lot. if you can, take the car to someone who can handle camber AND tracking, not just tracking.

wen u say move it back and fouth do you mean as in when i do that the holes where the 2 bolts go in come out of alighment so i cant place the bolt in there?

Lee
29-06-07, 07:48 PM
just loosn the bolts slightly.

On some struts, the top hole is elliptical, which means you can set the camber. SOme are some arnt, but thats the only explanation i can come up with

puss puss
29-06-07, 07:56 PM
i think mine is ok ill take some pictures 2morrow as am now going out will reply to any more posts when i get but ok cheers for the help.

puss puss
30-06-07, 01:33 PM
update got some pictures up of the new shocks that went on coursed the tracking on i think BT was right could this of chucked the tracking out so much? heres a picture.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9491/picture030lo1.jpg

Mike
30-06-07, 01:41 PM
IIRC both those bolt holes shouldbe the same size?

big gra
30-06-07, 05:06 PM
omg how mad is that, both them holes should be half inch iirc!

Lee
30-06-07, 10:34 PM
Odd its just a big hole, notrmally its elliptical.
But thats definately the root of your problem anyway.

Take it to a garge that can handle camber as well as tracking.

puss puss
30-06-07, 11:53 PM
ok buds ill post here if i have any progress with happen probly in 2 weeks time when i get paid again thanks :)