PDA

View Full Version : cat question

shy witness
27-06-07, 11:43 PM
im about to get stuck intoa rebuild on an old 1.2i nova i bought a while back

i see theres a cat on it....and a few other silly things to do with emmisions

im going to b fitting a 2.0 8valve and obviosuly will b losing all that crap...........buit what happens come mot time????

will i have problems:confused:

Saloony
27-06-07, 11:45 PM
Nothing, providing the engine is older than the car.

Iain
28-06-07, 01:23 AM
Yep as long as the engine is pre-cat (Aug 92) you should be fine without a cat for the test.

On a similar topic, how would you go about proving an engine's age to the tester?

Saloony
28-06-07, 01:35 PM
Yep as long as the engine is pre-cat (Aug 92) you should be fine without a cat for the test.

On a similar topic, how would you go about proving an engine's age to the tester?
Copy of the logbook from the car that the engine came out of.

Mike
28-06-07, 01:40 PM
you can get around it anyway. A garage i use, when we took the civic in (de-catted) he retarded the tickover and done other sh1t so that the emissions were that low it passed, then obviously re-adjusted upon MOT approval and gave it us back.

shy witness
03-07-07, 05:58 PM
the thing is....our mot is alot different here in northern ireland

u dont go to a garage to get an mot .......

we have massive government test centres..where everything is checked throughly......brake tester.......suspension tester..emmision tester.....headlight alighnment .......

and thats all befiore they even put it up on the ramp 2 try and poke holes in it .....and look for dodgey brake pipes..bushes etc etc

its very thorough

and the other problem is........the 2.0 8 valve engine thats going in has a cat fitted on the sri cavalier its in at the moment......

looks like i might have 2 use 1 of them then

big gra
03-07-07, 07:42 PM
in canada there are no MOT's, just an annual emmisions test!

my mate runs a mk3 astra with a de-cat, he works at an MOT garage so when he does the emmisions test on his car, they do it on another car and claim it to be his!

John
03-07-07, 08:32 PM
Hmm, just hope that no-one from the ministry looks at that post.

Jack
03-07-07, 08:34 PM
Assuming NI MOT's have the same emissions requirements as the UK MOT.... what reg is your car? If its J then you could wing it. As for the 2.0 8v, the manufacturer should be able to confirm the age of the engine from the engine number. A letter from them detailing engine number and age should suffice.

A cat isn't physically required, as Mike said its possible to retard the timing enough to make it run so lean it passes. It'll probably run like a bag of nails though lol

Riggy
03-07-07, 08:48 PM
^^ a cat isnt needed atall even on a new car , aslong as its emissions pass it doesnt physically have to have a cat

but.... ive no idea what the emissions would actually register if the cat was removed it may fail it may pass suppose you would have to befriend an mot tester and ask if they could check it :thumb:

Adam
03-07-07, 09:44 PM
but.... ive no idea what the emissions would actually register if the cat was removed it may fail it may pass suppose you would have to befriend an mot tester and ask if they could check it :thumb:
It will 100% fail :thumb: