PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problems? Cutting out / spluttering

lee_edwards
26-06-07, 09:54 PM
hi well

took my sr for a run tonight and if i keep my foot flat for about 10 - 15 secs then it will splutter and eventually cut out it i dont ease off..

i have changed the fuel filter which bolts by the cambelt.anything else i can check?

thanks lee

SRI crazy
26-06-07, 11:56 PM
did u change the pump or the filter? sounds like either dirt in the carb or an air leak

welsh_roadrally
27-06-07, 02:47 AM
Fuel pump didnt fix it then?,was 99%sure it was that,it only started doing it after i changed the one that was on it because i broke the outlet pipe off when i did the head gasket,try swapping the carb with that other one i gave you see if that cures it,oh and just check the fuel pipe in the car isn't squashed,other solution could be to fit an electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator.

welsh_roadrally
27-06-07, 02:52 AM
Just been pondering over the problem,it only cuts out under load,wont do it parked up reving it,and when it cuts out it starts straight away so it must have petrol in the carb!,could be a dodgy coil maybe???

lee_edwards
27-06-07, 07:21 AM
Hmmm yes I was thinking on the same lines.maybe the coil cant handle it?eg..breaking down and will prob get even worse after time

Did you say you replaced the dizzy/leads + plugs?

Thanks lee

welsh_roadrally
28-06-07, 02:46 AM
yes it's had new plugs,leads,dizzy cap and rotor arm.
The more i think about it the more i think its the coil,had a 218iS rover a few years ago and that had a similar problem that turned out to be the coil pack.

lee_edwards
28-06-07, 09:02 AM
Hmm right.

Well I price up a coil pack and amplifier today and it is ?175 :O lol..

big gra
28-06-07, 11:18 AM
mine did this, turned out to be the autochoke was nakered, so i stuck a new engine in, glad i did:thumb:

lee_edwards
28-06-07, 09:08 PM
right....

well i dont really know what to do..

if i give it abit of greef in 1,2,3,4 then hit 5th and sit about 4k - 5k it does it.

i dipped the clutch and hit throttle and it still spluttered and cut out.

im thinking maybe **** in the carb?might take it to a mate and see if he can strip the carb down and have a look in there

lee_edwards
28-06-07, 10:46 PM
just a quick thought.

im sure the lad i bought it off said " he snapped the olive off the fuel pump when removing the lines to change the head"

this has got a 1.3 head on it right.... well maybe the carb is out of tune?maybe the 1.3 head needs more fuel a certain times so that why it is spluttering?

SRI crazy
28-06-07, 11:35 PM
naw it sounds like a fuelling prolem because if it was a coil i am sure it would be playing up more than thet and to be honest a coil doesnt work any different when under load than in normal conditions, if its under load and missing then its a fuel problem lol

welsh_roadrally
29-06-07, 02:07 AM
Try the other carb i gave you with the car,only a 10 min job to swap it,if the problems still there i'd drop the tank,been told that the pickup maybe blocked? :confused: ,also have a look if theres a filter near the tank,if there is i havn't changed that.

lee_edwards
29-06-07, 12:56 PM
isnt there a water cooler bolted to the carb?

is that other carb the exact same?
i might strip that and clean it then fit that and try.

thanks people

will tell you how i get on. (how do i clean the pick up?)

welsh_roadrally
01-07-07, 04:07 AM
Carb is the same (2e3 pierberg)

lee_edwards
01-07-07, 11:24 AM
i have tried that carb and its still no better.

SRI crazy
01-07-07, 01:58 PM
check your fuel lines for leaks or cracks and if they are ok it could be your tank. it might need cleaned out because there mighte be dirt or water in it.

lee_edwards
01-07-07, 04:09 PM
fuel lines are fine.. have had a look today as they run through the car. also all connections are fine

on thing i did notice is that there are very fine bubbles of air going through the lines when its started..is this normal?

lee_edwards
03-07-07, 09:04 PM
right....

just taken the car to a local mechanic. and hes is telling me that the cambelt its wayyyy to loose. he can twist it more than half way around on its self..also there is excessive movement back and forth on it.loads of deposit on and around the belt.

also when he reved the car high it spluttered (as if there was a rev limiter on it) he wasnt impressed by that sound lol..

does anyone here think he is on the right lines?

welsh_roadrally
04-07-07, 02:34 AM
Is the water pump loose then?,i didnt fit the new one,let a mate do that while i was doing the head,cant remember checking it when i fitted the belt.
Like i said before when you txt me i'm quite sure i know how to tension a cambelt,i've changed a LOT of cambelts on some some seriously complex engines,i'm sure my 1.8 vti civic would have broke by now in the 20,000 miles since i changed it...:wtf:

Mike
04-07-07, 11:49 AM
mine did this, turned out to be the autochoke was nakered, so i stuck a new engine in, glad i did:thumb:

yep! My SR had the same problem and it turned out to be the auto choke, so i fixed it then had an engine fire lol and then stuck a new engine in :D

lee_edwards
04-07-07, 12:28 PM
can you fix them or not?couldnt it be serviced?

anyone selling a webber?

lee_edwards
06-07-07, 10:08 PM
right did the cambelt tonight and still no luck.

what else can i do :(

General Baxter
06-07-07, 10:17 PM
when was the last time the carb was re-tuned?

lee_edwards
06-07-07, 10:20 PM
i dont know TBH.

i dont really want that carb tuning.waste of money if i can get a weber one and then tune that. but to be honest i dunno if i want to pend money on this engine - it has got abit rattley just lately.

would rather a gsi engine.

welsh_roadrally
07-07-07, 12:35 AM
Told you it wasn't the cambelt...
Whats the chances of idential problems on both carbs???.i'd be looking at the tank or fuel lines if i was you mate.

Adam
07-07-07, 01:08 AM
Does sound like fuel supply problem, which is why i suggested pump, but youve changed that....

lee_edwards
07-07-07, 10:23 AM
right... well im going to fine a good clean 5gallon tank today. put that in the car and a feed onto the pump and giv it a go then.

if i still have a problem then its gotta be somthing else. but if it sorts it i will whip the tank off and giv it a good clean

lee_edwards
07-07-07, 12:51 PM
right i have tried putting a different tank in place and it still does the same!

one thing i have noticed is that it is 10x's worse when cornering right - and if you corner left it doesnt do it at all.

could the float position be wrong on the carb?

Adam
07-07-07, 02:43 PM
Youve swapped the carb tho?

lee_edwards
07-07-07, 05:04 PM
ye ive tried 2 diff carbs.

maybe the autochoke has ****ed up on both the carb?

Adam
07-07-07, 06:32 PM
Maybe, but what engine did the other carb come off? A known runner?
Or had it just been sitting in a garage or something.

lee_edwards
07-07-07, 06:58 PM
dont know to be honest mate.

i have just taking it out now. it isnt just when you athigh revs.

when in 3rd/4/5 aboput 4k and going around a right corner it sputters but when going left it is fine?

deffo something wrong there.

Welsh Dan
07-07-07, 11:19 PM
Is it worth pouring a bottle of redex into the tank?

lee_edwards
08-07-07, 01:21 AM
how would that help? does it clear things up?

Welsh Dan
08-07-07, 01:25 AM
It cleans the fuel system (alledgedly). Worth a try for under a fiver.

lee_edwards
08-07-07, 01:33 AM
riteo.. i might give that a go tomorow. i cant see it doing much myself but like you say for under ?5 cant be too bad.

lee_edwards
11-07-07, 07:37 PM
right....

i have a weber carb coming tomorow. so i though i would strip the carp and manifold off ready for it to arrive and slap it on.

well when i got it off i notice there was a round port gasket on the manifold when the manifold and head are square port and this was reducing alot of room.

sooo im hoping this will be my prob.

plumtreed
12-07-07, 11:51 PM
You could check the muffler/exhaust system. Had a loose baffle that would block the exhaust periodically creating a hard to find problem.

lee_edwards
15-07-07, 02:31 PM
right been to scrappy today and got a coil pack off a cavalier.

fitted and tried and it still does the exact same !! :(

any other ideas?

Welsh Dan
15-07-07, 03:35 PM
Give the exhaust a shake/clack and see if anything rattles on the inside.

lee_edwards
15-07-07, 04:34 PM
theres no rattle there either

plumtreed
16-07-07, 12:16 AM
Naw, you may not be able to pick it by shaking but your symptoms are the same. Power up and its like sticking a potato on the exhaust. You can change it or keep driving, it will eventually sort itself.