PDA

View Full Version : rear brake problems...please help before karla gets it

cooper_nova
24-06-07, 09:21 PM
ok i had a problem with the n/s/r brake binding and warping the drum and causing the cyclider to pop due to over adjusted shoes, so i put brand new shoes cyclinder drums and handbrake cabels on both sides,the n/s/r was still tight for the 1st 100 odd miles then freed off, after 1k miles the rear cyclinder poped again, due to over adjusted shoes. so i got a 2nd hand complete rear hub assembly off a gte put that on, all was well for about 500 miles then the same thing happened again, so i put another complete rear hub assembly off a corsa 1.2i on it, that was good for about 800 miles then that too had the rear cyclinder pop, once again due to the brake shoes over adjusting and the drum warping. so i put a complete rear hub assembly on from a tigra 1.4 and that too has gone tight, causing the n/s/r to heat the alloy wheel up to the point where it is nearly too hot to touch.

any of you experienced this before? or know what else i can try before i take a big effing hammer to the poor little nova, as its just getting silly now. also its only ever the n/s/r thats binding the o/s/r is fine...all this has happened since feburay this year:confused::confused::confused::confused::confu sed:

Lee
24-06-07, 09:29 PM
Stupid question, but you are running the standard compensators on the M/S arn't you?

cooper_nova
24-06-07, 09:34 PM
yes fella nothing on the m/s has been touched

tom reid
24-06-07, 09:43 PM
Do you like a tight handbrake, it could be adjusted too tight, causing the auto adjuster to operate more than it should, try slackening it off and see what happens.
Hth

cooper_nova
24-06-07, 09:55 PM
tom on this last hub i put on i deliberatly set the adjust so you could spin the rear hub with out any friction at all..and so the hand brake came up 10 clicks too..but it didn't make any difference it still binds

tom reid
24-06-07, 10:05 PM
Hmm, strange one this.
So why is the adjuster working overtime?
I would have a good look at the adjuster itself, I assume that the same problem occurs with different adjusters?
If so, you could drop a weld onto the adjuster to stop it operating, and see if issue is resolved, or back it right off with the h/brake a bit slack and wait and see.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

cooper_nova
24-06-07, 10:41 PM
no worries tom, i think lee(bt) and i have come up with an explanation for why its over adjusting...the compensator funked is that we came up with, so gonna try that as next port of call:thumb:

tom reid
24-06-07, 11:18 PM
Let us know how you get on

cooper_nova
25-06-07, 11:45 AM
will do tom, got the part on order, just got wait for it to arriveand fitit, then i'll letyou all know.

cheers forall your help and sugestions people:D