PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out, why ?

Anonymous
14-03-02, 05:26 PM
I have had no problems with my car with regards to starting and running since I put my 2.0l 8v cavalier engine in it. However, last week I went to start my car and 3 times in a row it started straight away but as soon as I pressed the accelerator down to rev it cut out. on the 4th attempt it was fine.

The next day it took 3 attempts to start it, it was turning over but just wouldn't kick into life, (it has never done this before !!) then I was driving along about 25 mph and the car started slowing right down, so I pressed the accelerator down a bit more.... nothing, then I put it all the way to the floor. all that happened was the revs cut out and the engine died. I still had power to everything. It started straight up and has been fine.

any ideas why it has suddenly started doing this and whats wrong ?

:D:D 2.0l 8v. It actually works !!!! :D:D

Anonymous
14-03-02, 09:05 PM
dodgy fuel pump? or fuel pump relay>?
sounds like low fuel pressure to be doing that!

Anonymous
15-03-02, 10:50 AM
I have had the same problem in my 1.3L
I have had the carb to bits... fuel pump changed, different coil and dizzy... still does it.
Only thing anyone could think of was the engine earth strap... which i havent done anything with yet but it does look to be in a bad way from the quick peek i had at it.

Try the strap mate... you never know.
And if it works, let me know and i will sort mine out finally.

TunaFish is the way forward... you mark my words. :D

Anonymous
15-03-02, 12:59 PM
I have 2 earth straps on mine and they are fine, ARSE !!!

If I suss it I'll let you know.

:D:D 2.0l 8v. It actually works !!!! :D:D

Anonymous
16-03-02, 01:13 PM
Is there any difference with the type of weather?

Was it wet when it was giving you grief?
Damp ignition system?

Was it colder than normal?

My GTE had probs with starting in certain weather.....turned over fine but wouldn't fire up. It would also run a bit rough until warm.
It was sorted with a new Coolant Temp Sensor.

Don't know if that helps.....just things to consider....