PDA

View Full Version : Fuel...

MOL
24-06-07, 04:16 PM
Hiya... :thumb:

I currently own a redtop nova and Ive been having a few lack of power problems with it.
I managed to work a few things out and realised it was a fueling problem. To test this I gently clamped the fuel return pipe (not fully just slightly to keep a little bit more fuel up front).
As a result of this the car is runing 10 times better....

My question is.. can I keep this clamped and drive the car today until I sort it properly tomorow?
I dont want to be risking doing any damage to anything thats my only concern... Im pretty sure it'll be ok, but thought I'd best ask :confused: :D

Adam
24-06-07, 04:23 PM
First thing id look at, have you got a MPi fuel pump?

MOL
24-06-07, 04:41 PM
Im not too sure mate - to be honest Ive only owned the car a week or 2 and Im still learning bits myself about whats been done to it and what parts its made up of.
I know it was originally a 1400 sr but im not sure on whats been changed in the conversion. I was gonna have a proper look tomorow and see.

Paul
24-06-07, 11:06 PM
In case you dont know,

The MPI tanks, which is the best one to use with an external MPI pump has a 12mm ID pipe coming from back rear of the bolt on sender unit.

The SPi tank pumps are found under the back seat, lift this up, see the black cover, pop that off, in there is the pump.

You use a vectra pump cut down to work with the SPI setup, the MPI use a Nova MPI/Early XE External one.

However, jst a few things to check at the same time, look for a ****e/spli vacuum on the regulator, check the fuel is bled through at the rail properly, by removing the cover and pressing in the nipple. fuel filter also.

Check that the hoses are in good condition underneath the car also. Ideally you want to change the SR fuel system completey, it makes it a 'proper' job as to put it. High pressure lines, new fuel filter, just makes it all freshened up and newer basically.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul

MOL
25-06-07, 12:26 AM
Cheers for that paul its a great help mate. :)

I had a quick look tonight and Its an mpi pump that I have.
So Im going to change that, also I was going to change the regulator, I'm not too clued up on whats best, but a friend said a 3.5bar one???

I don't know what would be best, but it definately feels like its struggling for fuel now and then, and as I said in my first post, once I closed up that fuel return pipe slightly It made a big difference.

Paul
25-06-07, 07:13 AM
yeh, if its a stock engine, then simply just get a new XE regulator, theyre 2 for a penny. lol Or even better would be an FSE, kits are approx ?70ish quid, theyre set to 3.5 bar.Sounds like a wise Idea changing the pump, but have you done the obvious things first such as red-ex type stuff to remove any blockages from the lines, new fuel filter?

Sounds as though your on the right lines mate

Paul

craig green
25-06-07, 11:10 AM
FSE are unreliable & just not necessary tbh. They are purely sold on the drivel in the advertising bumpf!

The std fuel pressure & regulator is fine when the engine is tip-top.

If an out of tank (external) pump is feeding the fuel rail, & the return line runs from the regulator back to the tank it should run fine (assuming pump is OK).

I would have the injectors cleaned as a matter of precaution & renew the fuel filter.

MOL
25-06-07, 05:17 PM
Cheers for the help lads -
The lad I bought the car off told me ever since he changed the tank to injection its been a bit hesitant every now and then.

I think the plan will be to change the pump, regulator and fuel filter. It's not going to cost too much to change those so I may aswel get them all done then I'll know where I am with the car so to speak (what parts are new, what arnt etc) .

Stuart
25-06-07, 05:36 PM
agree with craig, the FSE's arent worth the paper they use to advertise with

Paul
26-06-07, 10:13 PM
I got one on my LET, to replace my damaged standard item. My car runs spot on with it. Heard a few stories about them being **** but mines perfect.

Stuart
27-06-07, 08:00 AM
are you sure ;) definately no lean top end? or lean bottom end.... both traits are the FSE's favorite habbit, and totally un trustworthy as they will slip out of setup too.

Best off getting a Weber pressure reg from a cossie (found that Burton power sell them)

Paul
27-06-07, 12:46 PM
well my graph on the RR was near enough perfect, or so I was told.