PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Need ???

Anonymous
13-03-02, 09:55 AM
Ive got some ICE hopefully on the ways soon (Sub-Woofer, Amp, 7x10's) , but BIG proble - No rear parcel shelf.
Its something that aint been there since i've had the car and ive just not got round to the scrappy to get the bits.

What bits do i need?
Obviously the shelf itself but can anyone give in detail what supports and clips\screws r needed at the sides (angle brackets) and how easy to take off and put in?

Any help much appreciated.

Vauxhall Nova - Defined in Spain
REFINED IN ENGLAND.

novatuning@genie.co.uk

Anonymous
13-03-02, 10:07 AM
go to b+q and get some mdf, cut to fit and fit it. Its really simple and better for ice than the standard shelf. Cover with acoustically transparent material and there you go.

Anonymous
13-03-02, 10:28 AM
Right yeah, but two things,
How would you attach it to the bootlid?
(Hydraulics Already there so that aint a prob).
2. When u say acoustically transparent i take it u mean an MDF that don't absorb sound right???
Do they make that stuff??
I thought mdf was mdf. :-/

REFINED IN ENGLAND.

novatuning@genie.co.uk

Anonymous
13-03-02, 03:05 PM
no I mean acoustic carpeting. Making it fit and getting it to stay there is a matter of cutting it to size right. On mine it fits so snugly in between the plastic mounts i havent bothered fitting brackets to stop it moving about. I am going to fit a metal bar on brakets to sit in the holders for the std shelf eventually. Ive done it b4 its dead easy.

The acoustic carpeting is about ?25 a roll from halfords and car audio shops.

Just drill holes in the back of the shelf to attatch the original cord to. hey presto!!

hope it helps:)

Anonymous
13-03-02, 04:44 PM
Cheers Mr Blond :)

REFINED IN ENGLAND.

novatuning@genie.co.uk

Anonymous
13-03-02, 06:44 PM
the average acoustinc shelf plus speakers will break the cord and any way ive made loads of shelves (taking hours to line em up perfcetly) and they just dont hinge like the std naff shelf!

just leave it to sit in its fitted position when you open the boot.

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
13-03-02, 08:16 PM
the standard nova shelf lends itself perfectly to having a piece of MDF fixed onto its underside

this does the same job, no twatting about lining it all up and it fits straight in (obviously) with 0% hassle

and its genuinely a 'stealth' shelf. its all well and good but you can spot the aftermarket ones a mile off due to them not looking one iota like the original

unlike this...

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS

Anonymous
13-03-02, 08:19 PM
mine looks spot on :p

Im a Corporate tart :D

Anonymous
13-03-02, 08:29 PM
thats as maybe but shredded wheat may keep your heart healthy

bet you cant eat 3

Hi officer.
What?
She said she was 16!
NOT AGAIN FFS

Anonymous
14-03-02, 12:30 AM
One problem with the standard shelf......like hen's teeth!

Virtually impossible to find on at a scrappy......I've only ever found one....and that was in the old Red/Orange colour used in the A-reg to C-reg base and L model :O

I've still got the shelf as described above....not much good though at the hinge bracket fell off and one end is snapped off....a common problem and hence why they can be difficult to get hold of.

I suppose if I'd really wanted one though, I could find one. I have managed to get a full ATE brake set-up for ?30 looking in the right place :)

Anonymous
14-03-02, 10:21 AM
i agree with cambridge don't make it swinging

contact me @ spansishmale17@hotmail.com

Anonymous
14-03-02, 12:29 PM
i've repaired a few shelves... drilling out and replacing the pins

as for the made shelf mine was made out of 1 bit of mdf and routered out to look like the std one then hollow bar was inserted to make it hindge and then it was covered in acoustic cloth and i covered the mk1 side supports in the same stuff so it looked factoryi then fitted cav mk2 ropes that are sprung so they go back into the shelf when not in use

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
15-03-02, 02:44 AM
lol does it make u sick that i was given a gsi shelf for free! :P

i fitted it into the white nova

Micky@novaload.net
SNAKES-WITH-TITS Website http://network54.com/Realm/Snakes_with_tits