PDA

View Full Version : noob needs help >.<

puss puss
22-06-07, 12:29 PM
hey all hope you enjoying yourselfs...

well i was down town just parking up talking to some mates driving around and that then all of a sudden this light on my dash comes on looking like this ((!)), now the first thing my brain thinks is oo handbrakes must be on so i push it down doesnt make any difference so i reapply it and i notice its the one next to the handbrake.

I pull up get out pop my bonnet and have a look, whats this! my headertank is almost empty f**k went down to the petrol station for some free water filled her back up. I know i have a water leak i just dont know where how abouts would i go finding this problem?

The light problem is on the left hand side of the dials to the right of a handbrake the nova is a 1.0 litre (life) mk2 j reg (91 i belive) my dad says it sounds like a alternator problem although am not sure and cant find my manual :mad:.

Next problem lol..

There seems to be a knocking sound from when i reverse or turn slowly from the nearside rearwheel well there abouts the knocking isnt all the time just know and again and the noise isnt there when corning a little quicker. it sounds like the suspension is botteming out at the back. But this is when there is no-one in the back and with standard suspension on..

ty

Nathaniel:thumb:

Adam
22-06-07, 12:45 PM
(!) is low brake fluid warning.

puss puss
22-06-07, 01:03 PM
wow live saver thanks bud just topped up on it is dot 4 ok?

Jack
22-06-07, 01:03 PM
Aye, (!) is brakes (altho in my celica its handbrake too lol) - check fluid level and for leaks.

Knocking on the rear could be brake shoes, one of my ex's cavalier had the same issue when her rear brakes were on their way out. I would say wheel bearing but that would do it all the time and be louder at speed iirc

puss puss
22-06-07, 01:06 PM
o oki doki ill check the brake shoes next time i have one of my hyper moments and want to work on the nova

am pretty sure i have recently changed them though cant really re-call i will have a look though thanks for the reply :)

mark1scotland
22-06-07, 01:09 PM
the knocking will be weak springs on your rear shoes a fitting kit is about ?12 that will cure it

Andy_L
22-06-07, 02:06 PM
I know i have a water leak i just dont know where how abouts would i go finding this problem?

On a dry day park it in a garage or somewhere undercover, preferably flat. Top the coolant up and get a big sheet of cardboard under the engine. Go away and come back the next morning and see if there are any wet patches, this should help locate it.

Welsh Dan
22-06-07, 04:46 PM
Do as above, but run the engine at idle for an hour or so, so that the system pressurises and it'll leak faster :).