PDA

View Full Version : F.A.O CP

Anonymous
10-03-02, 02:50 PM
Alright mate in your guide to instaling the GTE engine and twin 40's you mentioned

'I had to get a slightly larger belt to fit the alternator in its new position.'

What model did you get the belt from to get the right size?

cheers in advance

Tay

Anonymous
10-03-02, 11:11 PM
Went to a motor factors with the original and got the next 2 sizes up. Don't know what car it comes off. To fit it easily I slip the bottom pulley off, put the belt on it and then replace it. Its easier than trying to lever the belt over the pulley

Anonymous
10-03-02, 11:13 PM
Sorry. The original was off the 1.6 - i think its the same as the 1.4 anyway?

Anonymous
11-03-02, 06:10 PM
O.K cheers mate. While I'm at it are there anyother things other than the obvious that need changing i.e heater hoses? I've heard from somewhere (can't remember where) that these need to be changed as well.

Anonymous
11-03-02, 06:47 PM
I used the std belt on my 1400NV with twin 40s..

nice and tight and wont come off (but isnt overstressed :-))

Anonymous
11-03-02, 10:25 PM
Rally, do you think its the same for the 1600 then?

Anonymous
12-03-02, 11:15 PM
Yes they do and the water outlet outta the manifold.

There's no way the std 1.6 belt would go on mine.

Remove the sound deadening on the bulkhead to give more room for the trumpets and filters. Apparently the place to put a bonnet scoop for better air supply isn't on the bonnet itself but built into the grill for the cabin heater just in front of the the windscreen. S'posed to be high pressure here - on the top of the bonnet is low pressure???

Sort out a catch tank for oil out the oil breather. If you give it a mighty ragging around a track it'll chuck oil out - they all do to some degree or another. Retain the std 1.6 rocker cover - its got quite a good breather system in it. Some say use the ally sump to avoid excess oil loss but I've not seen that meself

There's no hard and fast way to sort a lot of these odds n ends out. Best thing is to try and utilise what you got or what you can source down yur local scrappy