PDA

View Full Version : i'm clever

benthehash
21-06-07, 09:19 AM
:roll: I've lost my locking wheel nut key:cry:
Well locking bolt actually, it's deep inside my alloy so can't really get to it with a punch to turn it.

the bolt has got four holes in various places and the key has pins that line up and slot in the hole that type.

any ideas?

Dar
21-06-07, 10:32 AM
Phone up the manufacuer of the locking wheel nuts and ask their advice. If anyone knows how to get around it they will. Also lockers usually have a code to say which pattern they are. That way if you lose the key you can order a new one. If you have the packaging for the locking wheel nuts you should be able to find it there.

Mazz
21-06-07, 10:43 AM
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A335580&ts=77672&id=94826#

craig green
21-06-07, 11:10 AM
Aye. Snap ON & such like do nice expensive tools for the removal of such devices.

Have fun!

big gra
21-06-07, 11:29 AM
i got mine off by hammering an old socket thats a close fit onto the end, then undoing with ratchet!!

Driver
21-06-07, 11:34 AM
ive got same locking nuts, to order another theres a 4 digit cod eon the back of the locking nut you need that alternativly do what ^^he^^ said and knock on a socket thats a tight fit then take it off as normal

HOWEVER you will need new lockin nuts lol

craig green
21-06-07, 11:36 AM
These in quesstion have 4 pins that fit internally. Banging a socket over might not be an option. It'll need some splines on for the socket to bite.

big gra
21-06-07, 11:53 AM
i just dont bother with locking wheel nuts anymore, too much risk of losing the key or them geting rounded out! i just put the bolts on extra tight and be careful were i park my car, its in a barn at the moment so no worries there!

Stuart
21-06-07, 12:26 PM
you "could" always slacken the other 3 bolts off and do a few standing starts/harsh stops to slacken off the locking bolt....

benthehash
21-06-07, 07:10 PM
sounds like a good idea but i.ve just taken the engine out to prep it for the body shop. tried socket over but no grip failed
tried welding up a new key with bolts welded to a massive bolt failed
tried tapping it round with centre punch type thing failed

Stanley
21-06-07, 07:15 PM
I bought my Nova SR with alloys on it.

When it came to selling the wheels (bought the car for spares) i realised it had locking wheel nuts, but no key.

After scratching my head till it hurt, i hammered a socket on, stuck a ratchet onto it, and all four lockers came off.

Could have been a tad more difficult......

Best of luck old chap!:thumb:

bump
21-06-07, 10:59 PM
Drill them, tap them out, get a new bolt in, weld it up and then undo with a socket.

Should see you right.

Mike
21-06-07, 11:08 PM
Drill them, tap them out, get a new bolt in, weld it up and then undo with a socket.

Should see you right.

easier said then done, steel is harder then alloy, so the drill bit will drift into the softer matierial and muller the rim :thumb:

hammer a socket on, and rachet the fecker off, or file a little V into the bolts, and use a chisel and a hammer to remove them :thumb:

You can if your careful weld a bolt onto the end of the locking nut and remove them well easy that way

tom reid
21-06-07, 11:09 PM
Or, you could weld a smaller nut directly onto the locking bolt, fill the middle of the nut with weld, workd every time.

Gunzi
22-06-07, 11:29 AM
Make sure the socket you use is considerably smaller than the bolt you are putting it over. You want to create a 'thread' on the bolt just for the socket. Then you can undo it easily - the fun part is then separating the socket to use on the next bolt. Clamping the socket and ****ting the bolt with a big hammer is a favourite of mine....

The alternative is welding a bolt to remove them that way.