PDA

View Full Version : side repeaters

Driver
21-06-07, 06:33 AM
legallyty question 1st.

am i lega to loose my side repeaters (smooth them over) i know people do it but not sure on legality ????

what do you do with side rep wires just join them together so it thinks theres a bulb in the system ??

cheers

Jack
21-06-07, 08:35 AM
Easiest option, hide the bulb inside the wing somewhere lol

Alternatively, get a new indicator relay to stop the fast flash that occurs when a bulb is gone - ones designed for use with LED bulbs should suffice - then remove the wiring for the repeater.

Legally, a Mk2 can get away with it but a Mk1 can't. The MOT manual says if you can stand parallel to the rear of the car, a metre away, and see the indicator light up (not just a reflection of light) its passable. Mk2 indicators should wrap round the wing enough for this to be ok.

Iain
21-06-07, 10:41 AM
I removed mine and left the wires dangling in the footwells and didn't notice the indicators flash any faster.

Driver
21-06-07, 11:31 AM
will what it is, is my side rep bulb has gone and to replace it i need to pull it off wing as its a dodgy aftermarket corsa one then ide need to slicone it back on, so i was thinking why its off may aswell smooth it over

Jack
21-06-07, 11:47 AM
I removed mine and left the wires dangling in the footwells and didn't notice the indicators flash any faster.
Good point, side rep bulbs shouldn't affect the flash rate, forgot that lol

raymond
21-06-07, 12:41 PM
Easiest option, hide the bulb inside the wing somewhere lol

Alternatively, get a new indicator relay to stop the fast flash that occurs when a bulb is gone - ones designed for use with LED bulbs should suffice - then remove the wiring for the repeater.

Legally, a Mk2 can get away with it but a Mk1 can't. The MOT manual says if you can stand parallel to the rear of the car, a metre away, and see the indicator light up (not just a reflection of light) its passable. Mk2 indicators should wrap round the wing enough for this to be ok.

now that is handy to know as mine have been smoothed and was panicking a bit as it goes for test next month so i can use this excuse if they fail it on them

Driver
21-06-07, 05:54 PM
doesnt matter anyway found out it wasnt side rep bulb when i finally got it out lol

rear indicator bulb is broken now blown, the metal base has split from the glass part lol

so it was working every now and then and not others (mainly working when i was checking them all)

dave.gsi
21-06-07, 08:35 PM
my old gsi never had a problem with having no repeaters at mot time, although my mot place isnt the most diligant of testers lol

Mikey_J
21-06-07, 08:43 PM
Early mk1's if im not mistaken didnt have side reps? Correct me if im wrong...so i wouldnt have thought it would be a problem on a mk1

Adam
21-06-07, 08:43 PM
Mine has no side repeaters, and is a mk2, and the mot tester didn't want to pass it.

I mentioned the mot manual rule thingy, and he passed it lol

Asa-James
21-06-07, 09:29 PM
Early mk1's if im not mistaken didnt have side reps? Correct me if im wrong...so i wouldnt have thought it would be a problem on a mk1

true, my old a reg didnt. that part is age related (after '85 i think???)

draper
21-06-07, 09:31 PM
also older ones dont require rear seat belts - my mates b reg didnt have any

Jack
21-06-07, 09:31 PM
Yep, pre April '85 or something like that don't require repeaters.

Asa-James
21-06-07, 09:37 PM
also older ones dont require rear seat belts - my mates b reg didnt have any

dont they have to be retrofitted to get a ticket now though?

Matt2107
22-06-07, 01:01 PM
Nope.

My brothers mk1 golf gti doesnt have any as its an A or Y reg (cant remember which.)