PDA

View Full Version : tapping argh!

Anonymous
08-03-02, 04:35 PM
my cars started tapping under the bonnet,it gets louder with revs,and its also running lumpy, I have been told the dizzy usually packs in,which I am sourcing a replacement for,but what could be causing the tapping?valve clearance?-it sounds like only one,as its not fast enough to be more,anyone else had these problems?:-/

autochokes suck!

Anonymous
08-03-02, 06:50 PM
my car does that on cold mornings for a couple of sec (its done 116,000 miles on the original engine) i think its the followers have you checked the oil level

http://www.novabug.co.uk/FeatureCars/Jatinder.html

Anonymous
08-03-02, 11:28 PM
Oil starvation in the followers is 1 possibility if you have hydraulic lifters.

Another is something loose rattling

Best way is to have a good look round under the bonnet whilst someone revs it for you.
If its the valve train, you can distinctly hear it by listening down a tube or rolled up newspaper placed on or near the rocker cover. Try listening to the bottom of the engine or the sides to see whether the noise gets worse or better to help pin point it.

If it is the hydraulic followers you will prob need to take the sump off to check that the oil feed pipe intake isn't clogged.

Anonymous
09-03-02, 03:22 AM
my TD is maiking a funny noise as well, though haven't taken it on a long trip ince last weekend when it started. taking it for a 100 mile thrash tomorrow. if i reply in 24hrs ive made it back, if not . . . buggger

Anonymous
09-03-02, 12:52 PM
or maybe bottom end bearing?

Anonymous
09-03-02, 04:36 PM
My Antibes used the rattle on start up but was fine after a couple of mins at tick over.....one dodgy tappet was causing it.
I'd just fitted the new head too....bugger.
I decided to leave it as I didn't want to strip the head off down again!

Anonymous
09-03-02, 06:45 PM
I think its been starved of oil,checked levels for first time since getting it,and it wasnt even reading minimum!-changing it all tomoz,hopefully sort it out,otherwise,a bloke in the know believes it could be the camshaft screwd? :(

autochokes suck!

Anonymous
09-03-02, 07:07 PM
o well if your oil was low then yea it probly does sound a bit rough, and possibly fooked the cam by not having enough oil in there!!

Anonymous
09-03-02, 11:30 PM
Made it back! it has quietened down, but still there. I added a litre of Mobil1 a few days ago, maybe made a difference. Got my mate to time a 0-60. The engine is sounding rough (as ive said) and the belt is slipping all the time in damp conditions. Considering these problems the wee bastard still got to 60 in 8 seconds and I was only getting revs through gears to 3500 cause it was slipping above that. No engine mods have been made yet. :D

Fuckin CD player fried again, some how overloading and bolloxing up immobiliser????? X-(

Anonymous
11-03-02, 08:46 AM
poolry fitted for CD player!