PDA

View Full Version : benefits of a power cap??

Tim
19-06-07, 07:18 PM
as above whats the deal with them and how do they work ?? i was thinking about it, and im in thr process of stalling my ice and thiught it would be nice idea to get 1, lol.

draper
19-06-07, 07:19 PM
they 'store' voltage so when the amp draws a fair bit of power it doent dim the lights etc

Tim
19-06-07, 07:41 PM
right ok, do they make a overall improvement in the sound quality, and whats the deal with the ratings, i.e 1 farad, 1.6 farad etc

draper
19-06-07, 08:02 PM
im not sure on th eratings tbh, id guess that the higher the farad the more charge they store

dont really make any difference to sound quality as they only really effect the power supply

novait
19-06-07, 08:28 PM
the farads mean 500watts is 1 farad i think or its round that,,,make no diffrent to the sound but stops your head light from dimming at nite...
or you could just get a bigger battery..

bigbened
19-06-07, 11:25 PM
as said before, the farads rate the amount of charge that can be stored. they look pretty but are not needed

philly
21-06-07, 07:22 PM
as said before, the farads rate the amount of charge that can be stored. they look pretty but are not needed

as said here. however they sometimes are an easier option than to change battery or alternator. some installs can look mint when built into the system.

the bigger they go the more powerful they are rated. but they are mainly to stop the battery from dying when it is played loud alot and flatten the battery and to stop it dimming as said.

i.e we have just used a 6 farad pyle driver power cap for a customers install which has 3 subs and amps. all rated together at around 3000 rms.

check below for a piccy. its the chrome one at the back

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/csmadmatt/Picture128.jpg

bigbened
21-06-07, 10:26 PM
nice looking simple system there mate

philly
22-06-07, 12:34 AM
yeah sounds pretty well to the guy is chuffed to pieces. and it only took a few days thankfully!

craig green
22-06-07, 12:02 PM
Potentially a cap could help sound quality as under a heavy current draw an amp may begin to 'clip' or distort. With a cleaner power source there is less chance of this happening.