PDA

View Full Version : 20XE Tappets

nova ian
19-06-07, 08:17 AM
I have taken the hydraulic tappets out of my 20XE and majority of them are really soft to press the little button thing in, and a few are hard.

I was told that if they are soft they have had it, just wondered if this is correct.

The engine hasnt been run for a few years, so I thought that maybe the oil has not been around these for ages causing them to be soft as they are empty. I have never heard the engine run either so don't know if it was tappetty when running.

Im new to all this though so could be totally wrong!

Any info appreciated

Cheers
Ian

Stuart
19-06-07, 08:40 AM
sling a new set in.

Austin_Nova16
19-06-07, 03:48 PM
As Stu says.. I always just slapped some new ones in.

However, I have read on MIG that they are serviceable, and you can wack them on a hard surface and the button things come out, allowing you to clean them.. Could be worth a try if your on a budget..

Adam
19-06-07, 06:36 PM
There mega difficult to get apart, i tried for ages and give up,Lol.

R1CH
19-06-07, 11:15 PM
Theres a guide on stripping and cleaning them some where online, Club Calibra i think, did mine a few years back, the little valve things in the middle can sometimes be a pain to get out but not a difficult job to do, just takes time.

Rich

tom reid
20-06-07, 03:56 PM
Ian, why worry?, you'll be on solid lifters anyway, don't throw the old ones away, they might be serviceable.