PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel - It wont bugde

Tim
18-06-07, 09:17 PM
and ideas on getting a very stubborn strreing wheel off , i know you can get pullers, and ive had it off before, just wont budge

tim

dave.gsi
18-06-07, 09:21 PM
puller.....i bought one and had to spend 20minutes grinding it down to fit in the nova holes but its spot on now.works evertytime.

failing that id go for leave the big nut on and wiggle,pull and pull some more!

philly
18-06-07, 09:25 PM
just yank it too one side and wiggle. it will budge.

when i took mine off i smacked it in the middle with the handle from a hammer whilst pushing down and it came off. try a few things like that

Jack
18-06-07, 09:32 PM
Be careful about damaging the steering column if you're smacking the wheel with hard things lol

I've usually found success with a hefty screwdriver behind the wheel, levering it off. As said, leave the nut on the end of the thread though unless you want a steering wheel in your face :D

draper
18-06-07, 09:47 PM
you big wimp lol

as said be careful hitting the shaft, i usually remove old steering wheels like this but i broke a steering coloum last week doing it

Iain
18-06-07, 09:49 PM
Remove the column, hold it between your legs so the steering wheel is resting on the front of your legs and give the column a good smack back through the wheel. That's how Phil removed mine without damaging it, as it wouldn't budge at all! lol

You could try a proper GM steernig wheel puller if you don't want to remove the column though.

Ernie
18-06-07, 10:00 PM
Hammer Time

bigbened
18-06-07, 10:27 PM
get a puller mate it was the only way to get mine off after days of bashing pulling and general swearing i found this to be the only way

~~joycey~~
19-06-07, 10:26 AM
STOP!

Hammer Time

http://opsena.com/bivsipoznati/files/2006/09/mc%20hammer.jpg

lol

vaughanmc
19-06-07, 05:44 PM
Loads of WD40 and some brute-force -- Thats how I got mines off

Novadex
19-06-07, 05:53 PM
Its the only way, spray a load of WD40 in where the bolt goes then put the nut on a few turns. Tap the nut a for a few mins, this helps the WD40 work its way in then pull like a feker.

Remember to keep the nut on a few turns at all times, so when it finally comes off you wonk break your face.

Tim
19-06-07, 06:27 PM
cheers for all the comments

im going to go and have a good swear and fight with it in a min, i sprayed it with wd last night before i went to bed, so i might have some joy.

well here goes, i shall let u know how it goes, lol.

:thumb:

Novadex
19-06-07, 06:39 PM
just put your back in to it!

Tim
19-06-07, 07:01 PM
lol, well tahts half an hour of my life wasted, still get the fekka off doing my head in now lol

oh well, perserveriance (sp) and i will pervail, lol.

DaveMarshall
19-06-07, 10:54 PM
I'll tell you all how to get a Vauxhall wheel off i've broke loads of Vauxhall's and never had a problem.

1) Loosen the nut remove it and remove the washer, replace the nut and leave it flush with the top of the column.

2) With the wheel straight and the steering lock off whilst sat in the seat put both knees under the base of the wheel and apply pressure.

3) With your left hand grip the top of the wheel and apply pressure.

4) Hit the nut/top of column with a hammer whilst still applying pressure with knees and left arm.

If it doesn't work you shouldn't be working on a car.

Dave.

Dave.
19-06-07, 11:07 PM
my steering wheel never came off on my old colum.. even rey had a go and couldnt budge it.. neither did my dad
stuck another colum on.. and hey presto you pulled it and it popped off.. id just buy a new colum

DaveMarshall
19-06-07, 11:08 PM
Well i've never once had a problem with any Vauxhall wheel Nova's included

Novadave06
20-06-07, 08:46 AM
yeah hammertime

Yalden
20-06-07, 08:56 AM
Any luck yet?

Tim
20-06-07, 09:44 PM
lol at hammertime, and still no foookin luck. bastid thing is really brginning to fook me off now. have tried and tried but it just wont let go.

ive never hd so much trouble with anything. my engine conversion gave me less headaches than this!!

DaveMarshall
20-06-07, 11:00 PM
Did you try what I said? I've broke loads of Vauxhall's that i've lost count and never had a problem with steering wheels.

Ernie
20-06-07, 11:23 PM
bigger hammer gets my vote.

steve.hicks
20-06-07, 11:31 PM
You could try... if the Nova is road worthy... to leave the nut loose,( not too loose) and continue to drive it... wiggling it as you do, until it becomes loose..

paddy138
20-06-07, 11:32 PM
get angry with it. worked for me

steve.hicks
20-06-07, 11:33 PM
If not.... Nut on untill level with thread..... and then hit the bugger with a 'BIG hammer' !!!!

paddy138
20-06-07, 11:36 PM
but remember that can damage the column

steve.hicks
20-06-07, 11:38 PM
True... Keep wiggling it.....HARD should work, if not VERY HARD!!

paddy138
20-06-07, 11:41 PM
wiggle it and hit the back of it with your fists. worked for me.

Welsh Dan
20-06-07, 11:41 PM
Penetrating fluid?

Dan 130
20-06-07, 11:47 PM
Sledge Hammer??

steve.hicks
20-06-07, 11:52 PM
LMAO :-) penetrating fluid, and ElbowGrease!!!! All thats gonna do it! Good Luck!

mowgli
21-06-07, 08:20 AM
Right, if all else fails, wrap some towels round the centre of the wheel, boil a kettle & pour some water on the centre. DO IT SLOWLY.
The ally wheel centre will expand quicker than the steel column, then wiggle it a bit & it should come off.
If that doesn't work, and I have actually done it, then go to a gm dealer & pay them to pull it off

db_1.2
21-06-07, 09:35 AM
I always hear about peolpe not being able to get their steering wheel off, it took me all of about 15 minits to get mine of yesterday, WD40 a hammer and aggression usually does the trick. Dunno about wheel pullers, never had to use one, cus im a big strong lad me!

DaveMarshall
21-06-07, 07:18 PM
ffs it can't be that hard just do what i said

draper
21-06-07, 07:20 PM
undo it then drive down the street

philly
21-06-07, 07:28 PM
dont be scared of breaking it. just yank the bugger up and down wiggling it.

Gunzi
22-06-07, 11:35 AM
Leave the nut on a few turns. Place your feet at the back of the foot well behind the pedals. Grip the steering wheel at the '9:15' position. Lift your body weight off the seat so you're supported by the wheel and your feet only. Then wriggle the wheel side to side using your body weight. It'll pop and you'll know its loose.

Shouldn't take a few seconds of agressive wriggling. Don't be afraid to use quite a bit of force - you may look a bit silly but it works!

dave.gsi
22-06-07, 06:35 PM
buy a puller for fcuks sake

its like a tenner from halfrauds and you'll have it forever

Tim
23-06-07, 06:34 PM
Right, if all else fails, wrap some towels round the centre of the wheel, boil a kettle & pour some water on the centre. DO IT SLOWLY.
The ally wheel centre will expand quicker than the steel column, then wiggle it a bit & it should come off.
If that doesn't work, and I have actually done it, then go to a gm dealer & pay them to pull it off

success i have finally manged to remove the wheel, such a simple job and it caused me so many headaches.

Anyway top marks to MOWGLI for his method, i loosened the nut, poured on the water, then got the rubber hammer out and gave it a good wack from behind, and off it popped. The only thing i did differenly to the above method was to place a bucket under the wheel to catch the water.

finally i can progress with fitting my gsi dash, pics will follow.

Thanks for all the input on this, its much appreciated.

tim :thumb:

NovaLad
23-06-07, 06:39 PM
Lol Well Done...