PDA

View Full Version : xe knock sensor

matthew172
17-06-07, 09:06 PM
what exactly does the knock sensor do?? and what effects would it have on the engine if it was fcucked??

Adam
17-06-07, 09:12 PM
Detects detonation(pinking) to aid the ecu's ignition timing.
If it wasnt working the management light would be on, and the ecu reverts to the std ignition map.

sri power
17-06-07, 10:55 PM
it would run like a peice of crap.mine was doing this found out it had just come unplugged

matthew172
18-06-07, 05:18 PM
ok cheers lads

Jonlem
18-06-07, 05:35 PM
Is this on your nova ? (fearless one)

If so what management is it on as the MBE 967 on my mates doesn't use a knock sensor ?

Or I certainly dont have any spare connectors for one !?

Dar
18-06-07, 05:52 PM
Just to clarify Jonlem the MBE 967 does not use the knock sensor.

Adam
18-06-07, 06:01 PM
Just to clarify Jonlem the MBE 967 does not use the knock sensor.
Correct

Jonlem
18-06-07, 09:10 PM
Cheers, so i presume Matthews is on DTA then ?

R1CH
18-06-07, 10:02 PM
Hes got another 16v Nova (std management), i'm pressuming thats the one he's having probs with.

Rich

Jonlem
18-06-07, 10:18 PM
Sorry, must of missed him mention that !

Matthew I have a box full of knock sensors if u need one.

Definately worth checking the knock sensor plug itself and if the loom was out of a cav/cally then it might be worth looking at the 5 pin (iirc) connector that seperates the knock sensor and icv from the rest of the loom, these also suffer from poor connections mainly due to water damage

matthew172
19-06-07, 05:30 PM
yeah its my other nova 16v (standard management) ive got an ongoing problem with,
when i first put the engine in it ran like a dream for about 8 mnths then its developed this problem that it just revs like a sticky icv, when driving it you put your foot down then back off to change gear but when the clutch is depressed you can still feel/hear it revving

and if sat stationary you rev it up and let off and it will drop back to 2k then hold there for a second or 2 then drop slowly back down to idle

ive changed numerous icvs, tps sensor, crank sensor, checked the throttle buterflies arent sticking and theres no ecu fault codes

this is why i was asking what effects a nackered knock sensor would have but it sounds like thats not the problem either

im kinda thinking its maybe the connection/wiring that goes to the icv thats causing this????

dont get me wrong it still goes as well as it did but this is starting to realy fcuk me off lol

Jonlem
19-06-07, 05:56 PM
Definately isn't KS as that wont make it idle up.

No air leaks from seals between Sfi box (or showercap) and inlet ?

Loom fault seem likely, air leak or maybe knackered afm.

is it a dizzy or coilpack engine ?

matthew172
19-06-07, 06:08 PM
dizzy engine, afm aint nackerd because ive tried another on and no difference, ill haveto check loom and seal between sfi box and inlet and other seals

oh and theres no showercep anywere near my engine lol

Jonlem
19-06-07, 06:30 PM
Time to get the brake cleaner out mate ;)

Every XE nova needs a showercap, its the best place to stick the nitrous in LOL

Hope you get it sorted