PDA

View Full Version : security

bola
16-06-07, 10:17 PM
I just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread on here about security, recommendations of alarms, manual security stuff or just general tips to stop users of the site from getting their nova nicked by pikeys! If enough replies are made then maybe make this a sticky to help other members in the future?

BigStan
17-06-07, 01:00 PM
I will soon be getting a Auto Watch alarm as i have heard they are really good and my mate has one !

dave.gsi
17-06-07, 05:11 PM
ive used a disklock on everycar ive had. no alarms or imobilisers.

had 3 cars broken into but none stolen. im telling you this is near impossible to get off unless youve got a spare half hour and some power tools!

remeber getting up one morning to go to work and found the door bent open. there were two massive muddy footprints on the dash either side of the wheel. made me chuckle thinking of this chav, 4 o clock in the morning, both feet on the dash breaking his balls trying to pull it offlol never going to happen!

only cost me ?80, still got it now so ive deffinately got my moneys worth

Ernie
17-06-07, 05:17 PM
if youve got a 2ltr xe with the ecu on the tray then take it with you when ever you leave the car thats what i use to do.Mine got broken into (when i used to have it) found the usual done to it as in the hazard switch was upside down steering plastic broken but the car was still there.All they took was my stereo back part as ive still got the front to this day sill chav's.

paddy138
18-06-07, 12:10 AM
DAVE GSI its been proven that the chavs who know what there doing can break the disklock. mine got broken into before. usual crewdriver for the doorlock broke pastic on steering wheel and made crap of my ignitiom barrel. if im leavin my car in unsafe place i take hazard warning switch with me and disconnect the plug lead from the coil

dave.gsi
18-06-07, 08:28 AM
99% of people who break in2 novas do it cos they think its an easy car to take for a quick joyride. proffesional thieves tend not to go for novas so i feel quite safe with a disklock. your everyday opertunist car thief will have no chance getting it off

Mazz
18-06-07, 09:26 AM
On mine' i'll have a CAT1 Toad alarm, CAT2 immobilizer, snap-off boss and dis-car-nect

I really rate the dis-car-nect system, its cheap and works well, i assume! Never had it tested, fortunately!

http://www.richbrook.co.uk/pages/productimages2005/discarnect.jpg

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Richbrook_Interior.html

It's basically a mechanical anti-theft device.
You remove the black knob (oo-er) which cuts power from the starter motor (from what i've read) but the small fused wire keeps a small current going to power the clock/alarm etc etc. If anyone then tries to start the car, the fuse blow's and it die's.

Simple but effective imo :) Got to be worth a tenner of anyone's money...

MyNovaSr
18-06-07, 06:39 PM
why do u take the hazord switch. what do they do with that?

paddy138
18-06-07, 06:42 PM
if u put the hazard switch in upside down it puts the ignition on so you could then push start it. me thinks

Iain
18-06-07, 06:44 PM
why do u take the hazord switch. what do they do with that?

The "upside down" trick maybe? Better off to fix the problem than take it with you IMO. May still be a guide on Topbuzz or something.

I've just finished installing an immobiliser and alarm. Definitely worth doing and not too tricky as a DIY job. I've heard the normal disklocks that are just a bar through the steering wheel don't help a lot so may not use one anymore.

draper
18-06-07, 06:59 PM
im having a snap-off wheel, there not gonna steal a car with no steering wheel ;)

also will have a kill switch, fuel line cut off valve and the ignition wiring re-routed from the cowling to somewhere else in the dash - just try and pinch mine lol

MyNovaSr
18-06-07, 07:00 PM
ive got cat one alarm, imobo and a tracker..

but i never heard of the hazord switch trick.. can someone update me to how i solve this potential problem.

Pete.

MyNovaSr
18-06-07, 07:01 PM
wont stop them draging it onto a truck tho... thats why i have insurance :thumb:

dave.gsi
18-06-07, 07:02 PM
bar through the steering wheel = crap

disclock = http://www.ciao.co.uk/Disklok__Review_5483190

paddy138
18-06-07, 10:38 PM
yeah does anybody know how to resolve the hazard light switch

Iain
19-06-07, 01:30 AM
yeah does anybody know how to resolve the hazard light switch

This should help (http://www.tws.serveftp.net/novaland/howto/hazard.pdf)