PDA

View Full Version : Why are we so crazy about Nova'a?????

GTE TURBZ
16-06-07, 10:29 AM
What have they got that other cars ain't??? back into a Nova GTE after 3/4 years, bought it last year september just got it on the road after restoration, my family and friends were telling me "when you gonna move on and get something decent and respectible" being on the wrong side of my 20's anol, this is my 3rd GTE.

My work collegue were also slatting me as the stigma the Nova carries due to Chavs!!!

Just driving to work roads empty just opening it up:D and thought it was all worth it in the end no matter what peep say. They're just awesome looks, drive, feel and sound. i've driven many other cars, but nothing puts a smile on my face like these do. Realistically can we grow out of them?

Whats your take on it fellas and/if gals?

coombsey
16-06-07, 10:41 AM
i get this all the time too when i am going to get a decent car,newer car and all the rest. i dont bother listening to be honest i like it thats all that matters

Nazza's Nova
16-06-07, 10:48 AM
same here i rebuild mine over a 3month periord and it was ready just in time for donny 07 i had a grin on my face from one ear to the other im so proud to own a nova ive drove other cars like GTE Turbz says but nowt is better than a nova

Iain
16-06-07, 10:51 AM
TBH most of the time I hate liking them; they rust badly, they're old, they leak, go wrong and cost money to keep looking good (which most people don't think they do anyway).

However they're fun, simple, have a good enthusiast base and I think doing similar amounts of work on a newer car would be much, much harder!

Mike
16-06-07, 11:06 AM
There sh1t cars, and TBH I wish I'd never bought one as I'd be in a lot better off financial position.

So mines going lol

paul james
16-06-07, 11:32 AM
If everyone took the mentality that new cars are always better - there would be no classic cars at all.

And really new cars aren't that much better, they all do essentially the same thing. Ok safety has improved, but a roll cage will take care of that if your worried.

I just love driving Nova's, their quick, light, simple, and I just feel in total control of the car. The only thing I dislike about them is the fact they rust, but then Vauxhall made sure that happened because otherwise you wouldnt buy a new car, since if it wasn't for rust the would go on forever.

Novadex
16-06-07, 11:57 AM
There sh1t cars, and TBH I wish I'd never bought one as I'd be in a lot better off financial position.

So mines going lol
:eek::eek::eek: blasphemy!!

lol

dannyb
16-06-07, 12:14 PM
I hate my Nova. Its rust, creaks over every bump, the ride is uncomfortable, I see more and more minor things to repair every day and it is fairly ugly in 5 door guise.

However, I occasionally (most of the time actually!) like it for what it is, a 1.2 delivery car (purely 1.2 for economy as it earns its own keep). It can show a clean pair of tyres to cars which are more powerful but in the wrong hands, it doesn't cause me headaches when its parked in a car park (none of this "oh no, is someone going to ding it..."), you can drive it at 11/10ths and still be within the law and it is cheap to repair if anything does go. It hasn't majorly let me down in almost 3 years and has never failed to get me home, plus my insurance is ?300 a year fully comp with mods and buisness cover...

Mike
16-06-07, 05:41 PM
:eek::eek::eek: blasphemy!!

lol

i only said what you were thinking :thumb:

JSeymour
16-06-07, 05:45 PM
i love my nova(5th one now) it looks great, goes well for a 1.4 and itl go even better with my redtop in her, nothing goes wrong with it and if/when it does its easy to work on which is another reason why i like it.

it costs naff all to run and and its cost me less then 2 grand so far.

cant complain really.

Asa-James
16-06-07, 05:56 PM
i had mine out for the final drive last night before it was taken off the road (sniff) no back seats, no stereo, and deserted roads. loved every second. and driving the toyota today has made me realise just how much i'm gonna miss the nova.

basically, for smiles per miles factor, the nova beats anything i've ever driven hands down every time.

srs1
16-06-07, 06:07 PM
nova's are crap and i am also thinking of selling mine.

Mike
16-06-07, 06:15 PM

I knew some else would agree with me i think it just takes time for poeple to open there eyes lol and realise there are a lot better cars to be had for the same cash :thumb:

Example - 92>95 Honda Civic VTi (EG model) 1.6 V-Tec with 160bhp as standard ;) Price ?1200 upwards :thumb:

Adam
16-06-07, 06:16 PM
NOOOOOO!

srs1
16-06-07, 06:23 PM
NOOOOOO!

why not?

Adam
16-06-07, 06:25 PM
You'll never find another as mint, for sensible money ;)

DirtyDave
I knew some else would agree with me i think it just takes time for poeple to open there eyes lol and realise there are a lot better cars to be had for the same cash :thumb:

Example - 92>95 Honda Civic VTi (EG model) 1.6 V-Tec with 160bhp as standard ;) Price ?1200 upwards :thumb:

but if u do that u'll be a member of the jap crap brigade.

I've owned nova's in the past (3 of em) and now i have a nice reliable newer car but to be honest if i could afford to go back to a nova i would, the fun factor is always good and like 'dannyb' says u can show alot of newer cars with higher power a clean set of tyres. one day my circumstances will change and i can have one again.

Dave

draper
id agree wit hthat mike, ive noticed alot of performance cars for ?1-15k lately

but i cant see myself in anything other than a nova atm

General Baxter
16-06-07, 06:29 PM
i ****ing hate novas, why do i keep buying them lol

Andy
16-06-07, 06:40 PM
Ive had 5 now,had other cars keep going back!! for little money they can give you laughs you and ya mates will never forget.I.m.o for the smiles per ? ya cannae beat 'em!!:p lol
As for them being chav weapons etc i dont think they are as synominised with them anymore?? well at least not round here anyway most refer 'chav saxo corsa etc'

barnyvaux
16-06-07, 07:02 PM
im on my 5th nova started life at 17 with a 1.2 antib's that rotted out didn't think much more of them. went to ford o dear wot a mistake that was!!!!!bill's bills n more bills, then i got a sr loved every second of it never let me down.. sold it had a kid house etc, brought another wiv rust started doing it up,split wiv the other half so i to give it away, buy this time im 21 after a few other vauxhall's i end up wiv another nova a gsi loved it like u woludn't believe there's just something about them... i grow up a little have a few more expencive cars lexus is 200. boring as hell sold it!!! now i drive a M3 haven't looked at a nova in yr's the gsi was ment to be my last,But as they say save the best to last lol.
But havin money a side another gsi came up and i just coudn't refuse it another nova lol.. full resto on this wiv a 2.0 16v engine go the hole hog. anyway i now use the nova more than the bm,makes me feel 18 again lol love it eveytime i get into it i smile.
O im 26 now and i still cant get enough of it.
Imo o think there the best hot hatch money can buy

Mike
16-06-07, 07:06 PM
but if u do that u'll be a member of the jap crap brigade.

I've owned nova's in the past (3 of em) and now i have a nice reliable newer car but to be honest if i could afford to go back to a nova i would, the fun factor is always good and like 'dannyb' says u can show alot of newer cars with higher power a clean set of tyres. one day my circumstances will change and i can have one again.

Dave

WTF are you chap? Jap cr@p? Jap cars are FAR from crap chap!! In correlation, Nova's ARE sh1te compared to Jap cars! And this IS a fact :thumb:

Andy
16-06-07, 07:10 PM
Yes fair point but which costs more to repair??
Plus theres not a 2 week order wait for Nova parts to be shipped over..........
Most Nova faults can be tackled at the side of the road to be fair...........

Mike
16-06-07, 07:20 PM
Yes fair point but which costs more to repair??
Plus theres not a 2 week order wait for Nova parts to be shipped over..........
Most Nova faults can be tackled at the side of the road to be fair...........

Uneducated i see :roll:

Yes, cost considerably more to repair then a Nova, compare a Jap Spec import or not car to a Nova, externally, internally and all the enginering and you know full well yourself what will come up trumps

As for waiting weeks for ordering parts? I think not chap, Honda parts counter :thumb: same as GM turn around, same day or 3 day wait on 95% of the parts, plus Honda and IIRC Mitsi/Mazda panels come pre sprayed out the factory (Honda Civic EK3 Rear bumper supplied sprayed is ?103 INCLUDING VAT, so not a bad at all)

Most faults on any car can be tackled at the side of the road! How to you think Mr AA got so rich FFS :thumb:

Open your eyes to wider world chap, theres more to life then Nova's, LET engines or not!

Blinkersville....

General Baxter
16-06-07, 07:22 PM
tbh, most novas have had a hard life back in there day, they were ragged and not looked after, thus making them a load of bollox later on,

most jap cars, are loved from the start, and not many younger people can afford them let alone rag the tits out of them, making them more reliable

all tho iv got both, jap engine in a nova shell lol

Rick Draper
16-06-07, 07:27 PM

They are utter **** lol. Worst cars i have ever driven in my life and i have driven some **** cars.

Save your money and get a newer car.

Andy
16-06-07, 07:28 PM
Fair points there L.O.T.N.Srs.....
Each to their own and all that i s'pose

R1CH
16-06-07, 07:28 PM
There cheap, simple, easy to work on, and very easy to make stupidly quick !!
:thumb:

General Baxter
16-06-07, 07:29 PM
well at least i know, most of us have something in common

there w a n k lol

Mike
16-06-07, 07:29 PM
They are utter **** lol. Worst cars i have ever driven in my life and i have driven some **** cars.

Save your money and get a newer car.

My point entirely lol yes, ive got a Nova and also a Corsa, but looking back, TBFH i wish i had bought a jap car as a first car instead of a Nova.

All Nova's in some way or another are money pit's, HOWEVER there is indeed something about them that does appeal to me :thumb: BUT something bigger in Jap cars that appeals to me more lol

Adam
16-06-07, 07:31 PM
Jap crap?

160bhp and 9k revs from the factory :eek::eek::eek:

I want,Lol

draper
16-06-07, 07:33 PM
Blinkersville....

that was copyrighted ;)

Mike
16-06-07, 07:34 PM
Jap crap?

160bhp and 9k revs from the factory :eek::eek::eek:

I want,Lol

You knows it :thumb:

Jap Cr@p meh! Thats good coming from a Nova driver lol lol

shy witness
16-06-07, 07:38 PM
i used to absolutely hate novas....................when they were the "in thing"...and assosiated with the complete boy racer....tosser thing

i was more in2 minis

however they have now got 2 the stage where they are older..........yes yes yes......i know that means .....rust........hardlifes etc etc......but in my book..........age adds character

its getting 2 the stage where the naffness is finally evapourating...and people are actually starting to appreciate the nova as classic.........small........ very tuneable..and modifiable car......(although obviosly not with a flock of fibreglass halfords spoilers and no fear stickers)

Dar
16-06-07, 07:47 PM
lol Novas are crap and cheap. Hence why lots of young drivers have them. Another thing about a Nova is that they are a very simple car, so you can usually fix them yourself if you wanted to. Thats not so easy with a more modern car.

If you don't like your car then sell it and buy something you do like, simple:roll: Why bitch about it on a Nova forum? As for me, as stated above Novas are a crappy little car when compared to todays more modern alternatives, but its the fact that they are small, light, simple little things that made me buy mine and start working on it. Spend some time and money and you can build a very nice respectable little car. As for Jap cars being better. Yes they are very good and well engineered cars, but they are not the best things evarlol They do break down, blow up etc etc just like any other car on the market.

At the end of the day its all horses for courses as well as budget. I wouldn't have a Nova if I had loads of money but I don't, so I have a Nova that I can afford to maintain and compete in sprints with. Believe me they are not at all bad in that respect.

Mike
16-06-07, 07:50 PM
lol Novas are crap and cheap. Hence why lots of young drivers have them. Another thing about a Nova is that they are a very simple car, so you can usually fix them yourself if you wanted to. Thats not so easy with a more modern car.

If you don't like your car then sell it and buy something you do like, simple:roll: Why bitch about it on a Nova forum? As for me, as stated above Novas are a crappy little car when compared to todays more modern alternatives, but its the fact that they are small, light, simple little things that made me buy mine and start working on it. Spend some time and money and you can build a very nice respectable little car. As for Jap cars being better. Yes they are very good and well engineered cars, but they are not the best things evarlol They do break down, blow up etc etc just like any other car on the market.

At the end of the day its all horses for courses as well as budget. I wouldn't have a Nova if I had loads of money but I don't, so I have a Nova that I can afford to maintain and compete in sprints with. Believe me they are not at all bad in that respect.

I am not in no way slagging them off, I'm merely educating what appears to be the un-educated masses that in correllation, Jap Cars are far from cr@p.

Dar
16-06-07, 08:15 PM
I am not in no way slagging them off, I'm merely educating what appears to be the un-educated masses that in correllation, Jap Cars are far from cr@p.

I think your going the wrong way about it because just stating that Novas are crap without qualifying it amounts to slagging it off (Even if you mean it or not). We all know they aren’t the best cars in the world (They where never designed to be).As in my post I say they are crap compared to modern day cars with regards to most things. What old car isn't? But Novas are uncomplicated etc etc which makes them ideal little cars for enthusiasts who want to have a go at fixing them up.

Also some people are blinkered and no amount of rational talk will convince them otherwise:thumb: Just the same as BT and French cars:D I also don't know why people don't like Jap cars, they turn out some awesome machines.

Rick Draper
16-06-07, 08:37 PM
My point entirely lol yes, ive got a Nova and also a Corsa, but looking back, TBFH i wish i had bought a jap car as a first car instead of a Nova.

All Nova's in some way or another are money pit's, HOWEVER there is indeed something about them that does appeal to me :thumb: BUT something bigger in Jap cars that appeals to me more lol

Hence my reasoning for buying a CTR. Fast, reliable, new and hopefully (touch wood) no hassle.

craig green
16-06-07, 08:50 PM
Novas have a charm & thats what has brought most of us to build, fettle & abuse them.

I've grown out of mine as a daily driver, but tbh most modern cars are way out my budget & too dull to drive. Novas are pure motoring. Rattles & all.

I drive an 07 Fiesta TDCi daily & sure it handles well & is refined, but I cant wait for the day to open up my GSi when its finished with the XE & Mantzel inlet etc & point it down some of the local lanes & check the glances from the local boys as my car was allegedly written off 3 yrs ago according to local folklore.

Ive met so many friends through car clubs & shows etc & the Nova was responsible.
Hell I got my first BJ on the rear bench of a brown check SR interior back in 97!

Rick Draper
16-06-07, 09:16 PM
glances from the local boys as my car was allegedly written off 3 yrs ago according to local folklore.

lollol Sounds like my car when people talk about it!

DirtyDave
16-06-07, 09:29 PM
L.O.T.N.SR's: u prob had a nova to start with cause it was cheap to buy and run and insure these reasons alone are why u didn't buy jab and sure everyones view changes over time, u have since decided that vauxhall don't/haven't made the best cars in the world from the beginning and sure most jap cars are fairly reliable motors but on the sheer easyness to drive and mod the nova has its charm, what else do u know of that u can double the BHP of for less than 500 nicker, I'm pretty sure u can't do it to a jap motor.

Dave

draper
16-06-07, 09:44 PM
I got my first BJ on the rear bench of a brown check SR interior back in 97!

and you never rang back like you promised :(

Dar
16-06-07, 09:57 PM
lolLMFAOlol

craig green
16-06-07, 11:31 PM
Drapes! LOL First is never that good. Memorable tho hun.

Mike
17-06-07, 12:02 AM
L.O.T.N.SR's: u prob had a nova to start with cause it was cheap to buy and run and insure these reasons alone are why u didn't buy jab and sure everyones view changes over time, u have since decided that vauxhall don't/haven't made the best cars in the world from the beginning and sure most jap cars are fairly reliable motors but on the sheer easyness to drive and mod the nova has its charm, what else do u know of that u can double the BHP of for less than 500 nicker, I'm pretty sure u can't do it to a jap motor.

Dave

My first nova cost me ?1500 lol yes, they do have a certain charm, but im just not as keen anymore and i still fail to see how anyone can call jap cars crap :confused:

alan b
17-06-07, 03:25 AM
i love my nova and its never let me down (except for when I fook up!) its reliable, quick enough, and most of all its starting to become a classic, here in rep of ireland there not really seen in the same circle as vtecs and mivecs, (the whole country is jap mad by the way!) my car turns heads everywhere i go simply because many people have never seen a gsi, i love having a nova, actually mines a corsa but shhh! and i would defo be hard pressed to ever sell it, im working my ass off at the moment to buy another car and i just wont sell the nova to fund it! im keeping it forever and thats that! there brilliant!

dannyb
17-06-07, 10:41 AM
All Nova's in some way or another are money pit's

I make sure mine pays for itself by delivering in it, its earnt me approx ?60 a week, less fuel (about ?7 quid) working 6 hours every weekend for the last 2 years! However, my money pit was a 7 series......

I can imagine a quick Nova can be a money pit, especially after seeing what some people on here can do to theirs (holes in blocks, broken driveshafts)

dave.gsi
17-06-07, 10:50 AM
My first nova cost me ?1500 lol yes, they do have a certain charm, but im just not as keen anymore and i still fail to see how anyone can call jap cars crap :confused:

i went threw that about two years ago. just got sick of novas and decided enough was enough. bought a corsa (it was crap) then bought a clio 16v. it by far a miles better car,quicker, handled better,more fun. but then i saw a clean gsi on the road.....from that point on i was hooked again.

doesnt matter if they rust, there boyracer and dont handle i still love em.
give it a year or two and you''ll be back:thumb:

Mike
17-06-07, 10:53 AM
give it a year or two and you''ll be back:thumb:

doubt that my self like but yeah you never know lol lol

GTE TURBZ
17-06-07, 12:33 PM
I am not disputing that japan cars are not better, i was simply stating that there is something about novas that other cars aint got. and saying that if your used to one sort of car anyone can say that about any car there used to drivering and had more than just one of em.

This is a nova site and we not comparing them to jap crap, the engineering is better, and faster better engines etc... its not only about speed, they do make better engines but cant say much about the exterior im not talkin about the never cars, the equivalent to the nova in age and range ONLY.

Going back to nova history, statrted of with a 1.2 had loads of fun with that, then bought my 1st gte when o was 19 write it off in 3 month due to stupidity as you do:( . few years later did my bike test passed etc..statrted looking for a bike,then out of curisouisty looked on loot and saw my dream car. (My had an rs turbo and just thought one day i want a nova with a turbo),a red nova gte turbo, had to have it,(the engine was Fcukd) but i just fell in love with it coz it had a turbo and dumping it on the test drive was awesome. anyway wasted loads of money doing the engine etc sold it after 2yrs cause it started rusting and well just got sick of it as it was modded and was limited to places where garages were actaully willing to look at it when something went wrong. Then finally bought an R6 as 1st bike, come off it within a weekdue to stupidity AGAIN!!, rode it as a comuter for a year which took the fun out of riding, then went traveller. But that nova bug had never really gone away when i returned and i knew i will end up buying yet another one. and here i am today, with a completey standard RED NOVA GTE (they've all been red)lol dont think i'll be moding the engine, just appreciate them the way they came out of the factory.

Mike
17-06-07, 12:36 PM
This is a nova site and we not comparing them to jap crap

that is the only bit i read tbh, so please do explain why jap cars of the same age as a Nova are crap? :wtf:

Im not comparing, im educating :thumb:

GTE TURBZ
17-06-07, 12:44 PM
that is the only bit i read tbh, so please do explain why jap cars of the same age as a Nova are crap? :wtf:

Im not comparing, im educating :thumb:

just educating:)

alan b
17-06-07, 12:47 PM
i have a honda civic 1992 boxy shape 1.4 dual carb sitting at the house and i hate it, its slower than the nova sri, it doesnt handle as good and since its been here ive had to do 3 wheel bearings, back wishbone bushings, sump gasket, fan belt snapped on me, alternator bearing ratlling like crazy, so as for japs of same year my nova is far more reliable imo! that said i did have a 93 wrx impreza i tore the guts out of and it never let me down up until i sold it! any nova / vaux i have ever owned has been very reliable and thats alot more than i can say for alot of other cars!

Mike
17-06-07, 12:47 PM
just educating:)

blinkersville I see.....

Lee
17-06-07, 12:52 PM
Calling Jap cars Crap is jusy silly. You may not like them, but theyre certainly not crap. Same as me with French cars. Yes, i make a big noise about them being built as well as a year 3 CDT project, but when it comes down to it, its only to annoy Dar.

I borrowed Chunny's Civic Sport this weekend for a wedding, and its that car that made me realise why I like Novas so much. The Civic floats along, the steering is perfectly weighted, the wipers switch themselves on for you, it pulls beautifully, handles extremely well, and is built to an exceptionally high standard.

The result from driving it? erm, well... none. Im left completely switched off by it. Driving a Nova is an event. It rattles, the steerings heavy, you can feel the exhaust through your ****, you never know when its going to die, but you know when it does, a quick play with the spanners and its fixed., which is another thing I like about them, as fixing/building them is half the fun.

If you want my honest opinion, someone who goes out to buy a new jap car, or any other modern car for that matter, has copped out. If that civic's injection system died, i would have to put my hand in my pocket to get the main dealer to fix it, and get it back fixed. No spannering fun involved.

So I rekon all you boys saying 'Novas are crap' are just fed up with being an enthusiast, and just want some trouble free motoring to get you from A to B, not that theres anythhing wrong with that at all, TBH, its the most sensible thing to do lol, but... If you still had the bug, youd be sticking with the Nova.

Steve
17-06-07, 01:01 PM
i'll give this a go...

Novas are cheap to buy, run, insure, they mechanically pretty good as long as they havnt been owned by some chavvy that drove it like a nobend.

Saying that they're easy to work on with limited mechanical knowledge, ok they rust but they're old cars at the end of the day!

All my novas have been ace, 1.0 was my first one owned by my aunt from new, sold it due to rear arch/sill rot but only ever had oil/filter/ plug changed and thrashed the engine stupid everyday for 3 years!

Then got my jamaican yellow sr with 138,000 on it. ok the synchros had gone in 1st 2nd and 3rd but still took a years worth of abuse and was still quicker than my mates 2000 fiesta 1.3!

Then had a gte engine fitted to it and a few months later wrote it off but took the engine out chaged the oil/filter and the engines been trouble free for the last year!

Yeah japanese cars are built better but you dont get the same buzz you do driving a nova and parts for them are pretty scary! Plus you cant do an engine change on a jap car for less than ?100.

Nothing wrong with them but alot of them are given the same bad reputation that novas had. i.e stupid bodykits, neons, some of the ****s that drive them etc..

Steve
17-06-07, 01:09 PM
Just read through most of this thread and cant figure out why theres so many people dissing off noavs that are actually members on this site.

Personally I hate saxos but dont go on their forums telling everyone!

Ernie
17-06-07, 01:16 PM
i like me jap cars as i get a new 1 every 10 months or so from my work and as BT said if it went wrong i would'nt know were to start(well apart from dragging it back to my work and getting another 1) Plus ya it's great to drive but it gives you no feed back what so ever.I like me nova's and the only reason i dont have 1 on the road is because i sold mine to fund my track toy which is a much better place to use a fast nova than on the roads as cars are built so much stronger these days and no marshals down a country lain when you stack it at 3 in the morning if you know what i mean.
Rant over.

DirtyDave
17-06-07, 01:45 PM
well the debate got opened right up on this, who like's em who doesn't. it just shows everyone has an opinion and most people have stayed mature enough to deal with this fact and not start slateing people for their idea's.

Dave

barnyvaux
17-06-07, 01:51 PM
if half of u think novas are CR*P why are you on this forum then???????????????????
dont get me wrong i like jap cars skilines,evo's etc but turbo's are for cheaters lol.
jap cars just ant built like a nova at all.....

barnyvaux
17-06-07, 01:55 PM
o nova's ant that bad as there now makin the 25th year!!!!!!! how many 25 year old jap cars do you see lol

kevw
17-06-07, 04:03 PM
Awesome post!

I've had loads of Novas in different states/guises. My current one has been "WIP" for nearly 3 years, I've not touched it for 2 of them lol (house buying and career put it on stand by).

My take on this is that after having various other car's, Nova's are the most fun to drive and as said are easy and a joy to work on. I'm not sure if I could have one for an every day car though, I need something bigger and dare I say it - more comfortable for day to day use... My Nova is a toy!

I bet there are other hatches like Renault 5's / Clios etc that have a similar fun factor as well...

Ernie
17-06-07, 04:29 PM
BT borrowed my civic over the weekend. He loved it that much he marryed it lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/DSC00182.jpg

dave.gsi
17-06-07, 04:47 PM
took a test drive in the new type r the other day ^^

no way i could afford it just i got a mate whos a salesman:D

cracking car, super quick and looks amazing. will it still be that way in 25years? i dont really know

i cant wait to get another nova, the only thing putting me off at the moment is the price. people are just asking silly money for them. a while ago you could pick up most sr's for under a grand, gte/gsi for under 1500. now the sr's are going for 1500 and the gsi over 2000:eek:

not sure i love them that muchlol

Mike
17-06-07, 04:50 PM
o nova's ant that bad as there now makin the 25th year!!!!!!! how many 25 year old jap cars do you see lol

jap cars were pretty much un-heard off in the UK 25years ago lol

Ernie
17-06-07, 05:01 PM
ya that was 5 years before the HONDA factory was built in swindon lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/novajack.gif

Novasport
17-06-07, 05:38 PM
Back on topic, I love Novas for their simplicity, looks & cheapness to run.
I started with an SR then moved onto a Sport which put a smile on my face everytime I drove it.
I am now building a second Sport as I regretted selling my original but it has got a little out of hand now and its turning into a money pit but hopefully the end result should be something special on the Nova scale.
They are so simple to maintain, repair & modify as Vauxhall made them simple but effective. The parts are easily interchangeable with different models & the mechanicals were quite advanced back in the eighties when released.
Yes they did rot, but didnt everything else in the 80's including Jap stuff!
The 8v engines produced reasonable power, are virtually idestructable & are easily modified to decent power levels.
XE's & LET's virtually drop straight in(Try getting a Scooby engine in yer Justy!) and are cracking engines straight out of the tin.
The Nova's build quality may be rather iffy by todays standard but they were far better screwed together & more solid than the opposition of the time, ie Renault 5's & Pug 205's.
They are light and very basic & unassisted by technology like PAS, ABS, airbags etc which only make it heavier & duller to drive.
Yes the brakes were crap but good old Vauxhalls part sharing & interchangeability means you can bolt 16v calipers straight on.
The Novas looks were quite a revolution back in the eighties and still looks good today with its blister arches etc.
They are so cheap to run, 1.3/1.4 SR's are group 4 or 5 iirc, are in the lower tax bracket and return a good MPG. You get a nice set of Recaro style seats, in a sportyish looking body & a cracking free revving engine.
The Sports are just a hoot to drive with the sound of the twin DCOE's in what looks like a stickered up white 1ltr shopping trolly! Faster than a standard GTE and group 4 insurance!
They are light, basic, full of character & a laugh to drive.
Take the Mk1 & 2 Escorts, they had a bad image back in the 80's & 90's, now look at them. They have shook off the boy racer image & prices for good ones are soaring even in base model spec & these started out in the same way as Novas, a cheap, basic runabout.
I dont think Novas will reach the same status as Mk1 & 2 Escorts but prices for good ones are already on the up as enthusiasts are buying them up.
You cannot compare them to Jap cars, they are not in the same league.
I drive an 07 plate 320d which is a fantastic car to drive & the Astra 888 puts a smile on my face but in a different way to the Nova.

tom_beverley
17-06-07, 06:54 PM
I thought earlier today as it happens how I'd be in a better financial position if I didn't have a Nova, but the truth is I'd probably only spend that on a newer car anyway! I've spent loads lately trying to find that elusive part and never ending improvements lol I'm 22 and keep telling myself to start saving for a house but the Nova is still high on my list of priorites as its nearly finished and if I don't finish it then I've just wasted the money getting it 75% there!

I don't think Nova's are cr@p though. With a few choice mods most areas are dramtically improved and rival or improve on newer cars anyway. Fair enough compared to modern cars they don't posess the same build and engineering quality and don't have all the mod cons, but isn't that what Nova's are all about? The best thing about Nova's is that they are good to work on and 99% of jobs can be done by yourself, no need to get it plugged into a CPU to fix the fault, that takes half the fun away. There's been nights lately where I can't wait till 5.30pm to finish work and get to my dad's unit to work on it till midnight and get something spot on (that way I can also avoid ear-ache off the bird lol !)

People always talk down about Nova's to me, but each to their own, personally my Nova gives me everything I need to enjoy driving and put a smile on my face and thats all I'm bothered about.

Novadex
17-06-07, 07:01 PM
I dont think you can slate Novas that much, the fact is "you get what you pay for".
Considering how cheaply they were made, i think they hold up pretty well.

Riggy
17-06-07, 09:19 PM
lol what a load of bollox this whole thread is

yes they are crap , but the crapness is the best part about it , how many old cars still turn heads when they drive past , specially if its a well looked after one , like so many of the novas on here

as for saying jap cars are crap , well yes some are , but some are amazing

but its the same with any make of car , there is always some total **** cars (kia's etc)

but i just love cars , dont matter what they are if they can put a smile on your face then thats all that counts ,

i have a really bad bug for the nova though , it was the first car that i wanted when i was about 15 , and i like allsorts back then xr2, xr3, cossy, astra gte , he whole lot , but i seen a little red sri nova and i wanted it lol , i was bitten from then on , ive had about 17 now and have prob spent near 20k on then which if i would have never bothered i would be so much better of financially now but i ont care lol

as craig said i have met some great people and had some right good times all because of the little square box's

ive also just recently stoped driving a nova everyday and got a grown up car (2.2 sri mk4 astra) but it only so i can keep the nova for longer but it so much more fun then the astra

at the end of the day yes they are cheap , easy to work on and make quite fsat for not a lot of money , but i wouldnt get rid of mine for anythin as it brings out the inner kid in me lol

Mike
17-06-07, 09:58 PM
yes they are crap , but the crapness is the best part about it

that is exactly what i was getting at, however some got the wrong end of the stick lol

GTE TURBZ
17-06-07, 10:29 PM
at the end of the day yes they are cheap , easy to work on and make quite fsat for not a lot of money , but i wouldnt get rid of mine for anythin as it brings out the inner kid in me lol

Well said, before the nova was ready i was driving a 97 tds astra, cheap economical and it actually was fun to drive once got going. and now since i've been using my gte on a daily it has given me a renewed meaning to driving. and i do too feel like im in my teens again.

Thing is my last gte was a turbo lowered dump valve etc and defo turned heads, and i was worried that a standard gte wont quite cut it (not the turning heads bit) but fun factor, but as still sure does!!! they are quite rapid as standard.

also mentioned in previous response, ive too driven the quivalent i.e. xr2's pug 205 R5T and in that league the nova still feels alot more firm being what it is.

Jack
17-06-07, 10:52 PM
Glanced over most of the replies, as when I last read this thread it was still one page lol

Anywoo... I'm in the "Novas are crap" brigade as well unfortunately, but I suppose it depends what you compare it to. I can't help but compare them to my Celica, which is a somewhat unfair comparison, but inevitable in my situation. My Nova is a 19 year old rustbucket which was designed for granny to go to the shops and back, the Celica is a road going 240bhp rally car.

Why did I buy another Nova? Because I wanted something that was easy to mod and be relatively quick with little cost and effort, hence the XE engine. Would I buy another? No. Would it replace the Celica? Not on your nelly. Should I have bought it in the first place? No, not really, I should have bought a fast 106 or 205, or starlet. But I've got it now so might as well carry out my plans. Will I keep it? Depends how well it does what I want it to - be a cheap, fast, easy to run mileage whore so I can stop using the GT4 as an everday car. If it fails, it goes and I'll get something else.

probert_nova
18-06-07, 01:31 AM
i took a years break from having a nova and i agree to a point the reason i sold the last one was because it was crap!

there was only so many times i could take breaking down,windows not working at just the right time!! (100 miles on the motorway at 2am in the morning with window down was not fun) carb icing in the mornin,frozen windows,and bastid heaters takin ages to warm up .

all this pretty much made me want a reliable car that i could just get in and not worry about if it was gonna get me where i needed to go or not, which i got (and a much quicker car too).

BUT within a few months i was bored!! of the car's smooth ride and lack of fun factor and also having nothing to do/fix. so i sold it and bought another nova which is rusty,rattles,all my friends hate and feel iv'e gone backwards. I LOVE IT!!
i'll admit though it isn't my daily drive and i probably wouldnt of bought it if it was. i have the use of an 02 reg c class mercedes now which i use for college and going out in evenings etc and i don't plan on having a nova as an everyday car anymore, instead just a toy really.

why i chose another nova as a toy though, i considered the costs of building a nova to the standards i want and other alternatives which i'd equally want to own,but the nova won.

therealnovaboy
18-06-07, 11:44 AM
i just bought a nova on friday. i was looking for one for ages so that i had a good strong shell for my engine that wasnt rusty. its a 1 litre and i got it from perth. staying in aberdeen i had to venture up home. i had a smile on my face from the moment i got in it. dont ask me why as every car on the road was over taking me even a stage coach bus went past. there by far not the best car on the road but i just like them. i have taken so much abuse from driving an old nova but when i ask them what they drive its either a 106 a corsa or a saxo, or occasionaly something jap. all i can say is stick to your pap car and well see what a saxos like in 20 years. just means theres more novas for me.

RobWeaver
18-06-07, 12:30 PM
Im trying to come back to novas but finding a tidy mk1 SR is proving awkward :( if anyone knows the whereabouts of f88jkr I would be willing to purchase!

Steve
18-06-07, 12:40 PM
Im trying to come back to novas but finding a tidy mk1 SR is proving awkward :( if anyone knows the whereabouts of f88jkr I would be willing to purchase!
Probably better off building a replica, decent sr's are impossible to find and theres always sr interiors etc up for sale.:thumb:

srs1
18-06-07, 06:28 PM
after thinking on this for a while now.

i am now selling my nova and buying a pug 106.
they handle better, look smoother and tbh are a better built car overall.

and once done up, they start off with a quicker car for even less work then you have to do on the nova.

dave.gsi
18-06-07, 06:36 PM
your not buying a s2 ralleye are you?:wtf:

srs1
18-06-07, 07:33 PM
hopeing too

Mike
18-06-07, 08:17 PM
and once done up, they start off with a quicker car for even less work then you have to do on the nova.

:thumb: you knows it lol

dave.gsi
18-06-07, 09:10 PM
hopeing too

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82266

i must warn you.....

i will hunt you down and kill you:wtf:

seriously if you do get one be sure to give me a shout id love to have a look around it.
a friend of mine had a series 1 about 6 years ago when it was pretty new and i fell in love with it. swore to myself id own one oneday:D

Lee
19-06-07, 09:31 AM
hopeing too

Sean is gay lol

Riggy
19-06-07, 01:50 PM
Sean is gay lol

2nd that lol

srs1
19-06-07, 06:50 PM
thats only because i dont love you anymore riggy.

And BT, you ignored me at pv, you came over to say hello to ad (long live the nova) and ignored me.
Your all just too unsociall.

Adam
19-06-07, 06:58 PM
And BT, you ignored me at pv, you came over to say hello to ad (long live the nova) and ignored me.
I just dont think he likes you :p

lollollol

Yalden
20-06-07, 08:53 AM
Nova lovers are like men that love fat women, a rare breed that have long term mental problems.

Novadex
20-06-07, 09:40 AM
wtf?? :wtf:

craig green
20-06-07, 04:13 PM
I see this thread has stayed on topic......

started out good!

Lee
20-06-07, 04:19 PM
thats only because i dont love you anymore riggy.

I knew it was Ad as he was sat in his car! You were missing the big sign on your head which said 'Sean' lol

And what was stopping you saying hi to me? :wtf:

Novadex
20-06-07, 04:23 PM
I walked over too say ello too but you were talking to some fella for a while so i thought id catch ya later but never did lol