PDA

View Full Version : AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH RUST!

Anonymous
04-03-02, 11:15 PM
my rear arches r well rusty........to replace them is there much work? does it mean changin the rear quarter??got rust on the front cross member...much work replacin that??my car is rusty..theres also some in the boot...its a hole...quite big in the right corner...weld a plate over that???help help help

Anonymous
05-03-02, 11:06 AM
the rear arches aren't too bad... ask rich dale for details, he sorted it out on his.
As far as i know he bought replacement parts to weld on in place of the old rear arches, then filled and smoothed it so it looked right.
Try www.novabug.co.uk and see if you can find any details of it on his site.

TunaFish is the way forward... you mark my words. :D

Anonymous
05-03-02, 06:19 PM
i payted ?80 to have the front crossmember replaced but that was with me compleatly stripping the front down and buying the crossmember (?25 with the front valance)

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
05-03-02, 11:13 PM
Scrape the loose flakey rust/paint off the front member. Tap with a small hammer or prod with a screwdriver to check if its rotted thru. If you can't make a hole in it and it seems solid even if you give it a bit of grief it'll be OK. Get some automotive grease and paint it into the rust areas. If you can squirt clean oil into the nooks and crannies. This has the effect of soaking into the rust and stopping it from continuing to corrode the metal.
Rear arches. If its just the lips then you can grind them back to remove the rusty infection, sand down to clean metal and re paint. If its in the wings as well you will need to cut the arches out and weld in new inserts which you can buy from a auto panel supplier. Its not too big a job but realistically you need to know what you are doing with a MIG welder and how to fill and paint effectively otherwise it won't look very good and the rust will soon be back thru. If you get someone to do it properly it'll probably cost ??? unless as its time consuming.

Anonymous
07-03-02, 12:22 AM
Here's the pics of me doing my rear arches as Wisewood mentioned above:

http://www.novabug.co.uk/FeatureCars/AntRestoPics/AntRestPics.html

And yes....a MIG welder is a great idea.....I did mine with ARC which did the job but a lot bloody harder to use than MIG!

It takes bloody ages to do....the cutting out of the rust and preparing of the new panel is quite easy, as is welding it in.....the time consuming but is getting a good smooth surface afterwards.....hours of filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding....you get the picture.
Don't start doing it in November either, as I did with the near-side arch.....I couldn't get it finished so was driving around with no arch (and a hole to the interior) for a month or so before I could get the new panel welded on...lol!
I did the off-side arch in the summer......much better :)

Anonymous
07-03-02, 10:14 PM
what about weldin the boot floor...tis rusted thro.the lips are long gone on the back..i also need a new front panel/slampanel put in and new inner wings..any clues?