PDA

View Full Version : rear disk conversions

graham kirkbride
14-06-07, 01:06 PM
are they worth doing on a nova? do they make the braking any better, or are they just for show

Adam
14-06-07, 01:14 PM
In a word, pointless.

For show, maybe.

graham kirkbride
14-06-07, 01:15 PM
thanks mate

philly
14-06-07, 05:51 PM
your brakes are only as good as you make them.

if you have a big enough set up on the front its ok i.e 4 pots. most people i think use them for show, although im sure there is a method to this madness otherwise why would people do it... just for show? there must be another reason

Will F
15-06-07, 09:40 AM
Mainly just for show on the majority.

However, they are needed if you need a decent hanbrake for rallying etc. Hence why they are found on most rally cars...

I must admit that mine are mainly for show!:roll:

Lee
15-06-07, 11:56 AM
They do give you more flexibility in regards to tuning the brakes, but definaetly not needed in your main build list IMO. Maybe an upgrade for later.

Will F
15-06-07, 05:48 PM
They do give you more flexibility in regards to tuning the brakes, but definaetly not needed in your main build list IMO. Maybe an upgrade for later.

Saying that its pretty simple to do!

mayhem
16-06-07, 12:22 AM
with other distributers (or how do you call m) there's a big difference.

for those who want to build:

http://i9.tinypic.com/2v95d2p.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/2uji2ck.jpg
(http://oege.ie.hva.nl/~jelsma02/discconversion.pdf)

raymond
16-06-07, 11:50 AM
is there any standard fit larger rear disks you can use?

mayhem
16-06-07, 05:09 PM
i building astra 16v on my rear axel. like in the pic.

ii heard that you can fit corsa gsi diskbrakes without any adjustments.
from the 1800 16v corsa gsi (is that a corsa mk II in the uk??)

mikey14sr
16-06-07, 06:05 PM
i building astra 16v on my rear axel. like in the pic.

ii heard that you can fit corsa gsi diskbrakes without any adjustments.
from the 1800 16v corsa gsi (is that a corsa mk II in the uk??)

Corsa C?

Dar
16-06-07, 07:56 PM
The only real benifit I can see with rear discs is that you can inspect the state of your rear breaking system easier and its also not as complicated as a drum break. Drum breaks are more than adequate, infact they are too good. Hence the need for the bias valves as standard.

I think it is worth doing but not for a performance point of view. But rather a maintenance point of view.

craig green
16-06-07, 08:55 PM
I just think a performance car should have discs all round. They are adequate but stomping on the anchors at a ton plus does cause the back to get a bit light in mine, discs look better, are an upgrade for the car & like Dar says easier to maintain externally.

Bit stuck as to what cable setup to do on mine however.

stv-b16a
17-06-07, 07:44 PM
disc brakes are better! thats why were not all driving around with drums on our front end. a nova with four disc brakes properly set up considering factors such as weight shift ect will stop better than a nova that has just had the front brakes improved

mayhem
17-06-07, 08:50 PM
Corsa C?

yes, didn't know if its a b or c in the uk;)

Nutty Nova
21-06-07, 05:53 PM
Hey guys just a quick question, im puting a disc conversion on the rear but do i have to uprate the front brakes too as id rather just stick with the gsi ones if possible.
Help would be appreciated
Cheers