PDA

View Full Version : Best mos for a 1.6 GSi Lump

Bolino
14-06-07, 10:04 AM
Hi all,

Im going to be starting a little nova project soon and have a few questions.

Ive managed to get hold of a low mileage GSi engine for little money. It doesn't have a gear box or ecu or loom. I am also buying a 1.2 very basic (no sunroof etc) nova for the chassis. My aim is to build a nova just for the 1/4 mile strip.

What I would like to now is how difficult is it to fit throotle bodies to this engine and is it worth doing it.

Also what other mods can I do to make it as quick as possible but without having to rob a bank. Im hoping to build the car on a budget of ?3000 over the next year, ready for RWUB 2008.

Thanks

Stuart
14-06-07, 10:43 AM
throttle bodies are a little pointless on the 8v, but still "work".....
what you could do is have the std mpi inlet fluid honed to remove the rough surfaces etc, fit a bigger TB to it,have some head work and fit a 300deg cam, decent 4-1 exhaust and mappable engine management. That "should" see you similar power to a T40'd car of the same spec. But with improved ability to fettle the settings.

oh and if its 1/4 only then fit nitrous :D

Bolino
14-06-07, 10:58 AM
Im properly being stupid but what is t40'd, im assuming is carbs??

Nitrous is a must, but only 50bhp as im not sure the block will take anymore.

Im going to strip everything possible out of the car and im aiming for low 14sec times.

Stuart
14-06-07, 11:04 AM
if built right the block/engine "should take 250bhp..... so tune to 140ish with normal mods and then the other 100 from a progressive WET WON kit.

T40's are indeed carbs. webber/dellortoe carbs.

Have a look in the features at Dan Jim and Bruces 1.6's Bruces is the one with a modded inlet and ecu much like i described above.

craig green
14-06-07, 11:55 AM
Where can you have the plenum modded like you harp on about Stu?

Btw I'd fit a turbo to it.

Stuart
14-06-07, 11:59 AM
Get in contact with some engineering firms and see if they look at you blankly lol. Fluid honing is where you have abrasive slurry pumped through complex shapes to smooth casting marks/spikes etc off.

Turbo would be good, if done properly and not the way the fen folk do for stupid cash and is really a back alley bodge ;)

craig green
14-06-07, 12:01 PM
FLUID HONING... cheers. I knew what it involved but its not a term you hear often like bead blasting, laser cutting or other industrial processes.

Stuart
14-06-07, 12:06 PM
as said on mig, Also knowsn as Abrasive Fluid Machining

Bolino
14-06-07, 05:21 PM
Would I be able to fit Nitrous with a t40 set up and would it still be reliable enough.

Adam
14-06-07, 05:26 PM
Nitrous with carbs will be fine, just fit a nitrous/fuel injector into each carb trumpet, and run the activation from a switch mounted on the carb linkage.