PDA

View Full Version : making a strut brace?

greg1.4
13-06-07, 10:01 PM
in craft and design, we are doing a metal work project..

i am going to make a strut brace, or try..lol

can someone please measure a proper omp/sparco etc strut brace and tell me what the size of the round tubing is? the length of the flat plates that go on the strut tops, and where abouts to drill the holes?

i need to know the distance between the drivers side hole on the strut brace to the passenger side hole on the strut brace.. (when i say hole, i mean the small holes that the strut bolts go through.

if someone could help me and give me sizes/measurments of things i will need to know i will be very grateful.

thanks, Greg

R1CH
13-06-07, 10:13 PM
Not being funny ... measure it up yourself, you aint gonna get far in your craft & design lesson if you can't measure it up yourself !!
Now get to the garage with some verniers & a tape measure !!
lol

NovaLad
13-06-07, 10:19 PM
A vernier height gauge < can't spell it.

A scriber.

Some blue dye.

A vice.

Some tubing.

2 plates.

And if you want to make your own nuts and bolts or whatever then use a lave.

Some extra tools and away you go.

Just buy one then tell ya teacher you made it.

big gra
13-06-07, 10:37 PM
make cardboard templates for the strut tops then transfer them onto metal!

it dosent really matter what size tubint tbh, bout 1" should do!

if your going to do it properly, cut a 1" section out of the middle of the tube, weld a washer on one end and a bolt with a nut on the other end, so you can tighten the brace up to make it work better, but if you make it yourself who knows how well it will work!

Mike
13-06-07, 10:42 PM
A vernier height gauge < can't spell it. Nope! If anything, a Vernier Caliper

A scriber. Not really? Marker pens rule ;)

Some blue dye. Erm, not really?

A vice. 1 point

Some tubing. 1 more point

2 plates. Sheet steel?

And yes, I hold an Nvq AND City & Guilds in Engineering AND Performing Engineering Operations, and the most of the above IS NOT needed ;)

Could do with a pipe bender tho, some 25mm OD (or bigger) steel tube and a MiG welder :thumb:

NovaLad
13-06-07, 10:44 PM
Lol i have NVQ in engineering but that was like 2 years ago i finished the course don't remember much off the top of my head but thanks for the 2 points :)

Mike
13-06-07, 10:47 PM
Lol i have NVQ in engineering but that was like 2 years ago i finished the course don't remember much off the top of my head but thanks for the 2 points :)

I completed mine in 2004, im a decorator now, yet i can still fabricate like a good 'un ;)

NovaLad
13-06-07, 10:49 PM
I can do it in practice but remembering half the words, terms etc... goes over the top of my head sometimes...

I remember my 1st time finding out there was a file called a basterd file lol

Mike
13-06-07, 10:51 PM
I remember my 1st time finding out there was a file called a basterd file lol

OMG :roll: lol

Ive got a Vernier caliper of my own, along with a mini MiG lol and loads of other b@llocks, making a strut brace isnt actually that hard, come pay day ill be doing another one lol

NovaLad
13-06-07, 10:54 PM
You should see the tool box i made along with all the gay tools such as G-Clamps - Hammers - Saws - etc... we had to make ...

I did one year in sheet metal and one year in block metal.

Sheet metal is a piece of piss aslong as you don't loose ya marked out lines lol.

I love using the lave.

Mike
13-06-07, 10:54 PM
I love using the lave.

yeah i love going for poo too :roll: Lathe you mong lol

Dave.
13-06-07, 10:55 PM
greg.. if it looks ok then ill buy it off you lol

Mike
13-06-07, 10:55 PM
greg.. if it looks ok then ill buy it off you lol

buy mine ive got for sale?

NovaLad
13-06-07, 10:58 PM
yeah i love going for poo too :roll: Lathe you mong lol

lol wtf before i even wrote lave in the 1st place i went on google to check it was correct and it said lave was correct.

Just goes to show even google has a day off.

bump
13-06-07, 11:04 PM
lave (lāv)

v., laved, lav?ing, laves. v.tr.
To wash; bathe.
To lap or wash against.
To refresh or soothe as if by washing: “The quiet and the cool laved her” (Edna Ferber).v.intr. Archaic. To wash oneself.
[Middle English laven, from Old English gelafian and from Old French laver, both from Latin lavāre.]

Can I suggest reading a little more to check next time lol

NovaLad
13-06-07, 11:05 PM
Lol sorry sir.

big gra
14-06-07, 12:38 PM
buy mine ive got for sale?

what one have you fro sale? im looking for an adjustable omp front strut brace!

bola
15-06-07, 01:17 PM
how easy is it to get sheet & tube metal? Where do you get it from?

bump
15-06-07, 03:42 PM

Any steel stockholders should have it.

Try yellow pages.

Mike
23-06-07, 12:04 AM

my garage lol voila :thumb:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/engine%20convo/PICT0057.jpg

Will be fabbing up the base plates tomorrow, and shortening it down, cutting some more and generally cleaning it up :D

NovaLad
23-06-07, 01:01 AM
Lol i thought greg was the one supposed to be making fabricating a strut brace ahah...

I take it you got inspired?

Mike
23-06-07, 10:34 AM
I take it you got inspired?

erm, not really no

big gra
23-06-07, 10:51 AM
my garage lol voila :thumb:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/engine%20convo/PICT0057.jpg

Will be fabbing up the base plates tomorrow, and shortening it down, cutting some more and generally cleaning it up :D

you could make a nica little earner of making these!! :thumb:

Mike
23-06-07, 11:04 AM
you could make a nica little earner of making these!! :thumb:

not really no, the steel costs money, as does the strut top lates, takes around an hour to cut and weld it, so add an hours wage a pro welder in, then whatever profit the fabrication company want to make outta me, then whatever profit i want to make outta you guys :thumb:

bump
23-06-07, 03:48 PM
not really no, the steel costs money, as does the strut top lates, takes around an hour to cut and weld it, so add an hours wage a pro welder in, then whatever profit the fabrication company want to make outta me, then whatever profit i want to make outta you guys :thumb:

TBH that's spot on, unless your making a huge number the costs just don't make it worthwile, especially with steel prices at the min.

Mike
24-06-07, 02:39 PM
TBH that's spot on, unless your making a huge number the costs just don't make it worthwile, especially with steel prices at the min.

TBH i think i may just knock up about 4 more and eBay them and leave it as that :thumb:

shy witness
24-06-07, 11:34 PM
i was thinking of making 1 up myself as i can do a spot of welding and
fabricating myself

the thing i was always gonna have problems with though was the circular plates for the strut tops......and getting a perfect circle cut...and also the hole cut out in the middle

theres no real handy way of doing it i think....unless you were to get these done out properly ......but then again....that would cost money...rather than just time

any suggestions???

Mike
24-06-07, 11:46 PM
the thing i was always gonna have problems with though was the circular plates for the strut tops......and getting a perfect circle cut...and also the hole cut out in the middle

thats the easiest bit!

bump
24-06-07, 11:54 PM
i was thinking of making 1 up myself as i can do a spot of welding and
fabricating myself

theres no real handy way of doing it i think....unless you were to get these done out properly ......but then again....that would cost money...rather than just time

any suggestions???

Circle cutter for an O/A rig is my preferential method, if CNC plasma isn't avaliable.

Fishmouthing the tubes is the trickier part.

Mike
25-06-07, 12:00 AM
Circle cutter for an O/A rig is my preferential method, if CNC plasma isn't avaliable.

Fishmouthing the tubes is the trickier part.

you can buy the plates pre-made :thumb: or just replicate C shaped plates from 2mm thick sheet steel.

shy witness
25-06-07, 05:43 PM
where can you buy the plates pre made????

and i dont like the braces with a c shape on the strut top.....they look cheap and nasty in my opinion

id far rather have the full cicle

im not even gonna pretend i know what fish mounting is haha......but i didnt really think i would b having any bother with making 1 appart from the top plates

ive actually got the pipe in work n'all that would do the job nicely....so i'd deffinatly like to know more about decent top plates you can buy

bump
25-06-07, 10:41 PM
you can buy the plates pre-made :thumb: or just replicate C shaped plates from 2mm thick sheet steel.

Meh.. sounds like cheating to me. I don't tend to buy what I can make myself.