PDA

View Full Version : Best Running In Method?

tom_beverley
13-06-07, 08:36 PM
I've heard mineral oil goes in the first couple of times, but at what intervals?

Also read a few times about 1000 mile run-ins, is this really necessary or is 500 ok?

Regards,

Stuart
14-06-07, 08:25 AM
new rings? if not no run in needed.

id say keen driving but not to the limt (say top out at 5K) then snap the throttle shut and let the engine brake you down to 15-20mph, then accelerate to 5K and snap shut...

thats how i would run an engine in anyway. The rings need bedding in well within the first 50 miles otherwise your just going to waste time and power mincing about for 1000miles.
Driver her hard but caring and she will love you.
if your still not sure google motorman for the fast run in procedure from the US

tom_beverley
14-06-07, 08:39 AM
:thumb: Cheers Stu

craig green
14-06-07, 11:59 AM
Slowly icrease the throttle opening (ie not fully open early on).

Gradually take it up the rev range 2500 & back off. (a few times) 3000rpm & back off afew times etc.

Do this until you are using most of the rev range. Its important to back off & have over run as this vacuum in the cylinders is what pulls the rings into the cylinder walls & beds the rings to the cylinders.

Downhill sections of road are ideal. Basically you have a small window when the honing of the bores is abrasive enough to bed in the rings.

There is an american site that details it far more (stu mentioned it) . I think you could have it run in within a day easy, after reading that.